De-icer

Blu3

Hi there to all, I am trying to create a good de-icer as a small project. What I have done so far is:

60% Isopropyl alcohol

20% Methanol

20% Water

Do you guys think this is any good, I am aware that methanol is toxic but I had to add it to make it stronger. Also I am still not completely sure what kind of salt to add to it and whether if 1% should suffice?. I was going for table salt cheap solution or sodium nitrite and a bit of a corrosion inhibitor, but no the best. If you have any other suggestion regarding the salt or the formula I am all open to ideas. Thanks in advanced. Also dissolving the salt seems a bit tricky since it does not dissolve? any suggestions about this? :)

Ok It is a de-icer for windshields, glasses and mirrors for vehicles. I have no limits to how much I can use the products. As for the winters it never goes lower than -14 but even this is very rare. But lets assume that temperature. I am also curious as to whether using only methanol for example 70% methanol and 30% water, as I have seen brands like prestone that use methanol for their de-icer, would that work well?. Thank you for replying and helping me out friend.

Hi,

This might be a stupid question, but I have to ask, why do you need the methanol at all? Wouldn't a mix of IPA and water, say 70/30 be good enough? It would have a freezing point of around -29C according to a chart I found on wiki. This would save any fuss about the toxicity of the methanol. If this is too high a C, then an 80% solution freezes at -37C from the same chart.

For a given temperature methanol is likely to be quite a bit cheaper but more toxic.

Ethanol is somewhere between the two in terms of effectiveness, but it's expensive- though it's probably rather less toxic.

If you want something that evaporates readily without a residue, then the alcohols are fine, but if you want it not to boil too easily then something like glycol is better- but it's relatively expensive, not very effective (at a given %m/m) and also rather toxic.

There are a whole bunch of trade-offs that you need to consider.

Unless you know what the circumstances are, there's no way to know the "right" answer.

For the small difference in price I think using methanol is just a no no then - the price isn't that different (2 or 3 times the price? - negligible for screen cleaner). Again, some of the glycols have H&S issues. IPA is the way - slightly heavier than the smaller alcohols, works and is relatively safe.

In fact we make a window washer/de-icer at work... it is essentially just IPA and water with a little soap and sometimes some colour (blue or green) and some scent. I do not like the scents though... it comes in Mountain Pine or Russian Leather.... the Russian Leather smells more like Russian Ballsack in it's concentrate. :-/