Making my degree more valuable

lemonlime

Hi, I am planning on majoring in biochemistry at UT Austin. I've read that the job prospects for science majors aren't too wonderful. As someone who is not planning on going pre-med, how can I make my degree more valuable in the eyes of employers? In addition to engaging myself in research projects and volunteering in labs, I am also considering taking some additional computer science courses or to possibly double major in another subject. Would that be sufficient?

The thing is that most companies often do not care too much about the content of your degree, provided you fulfill their basic requirements. Some positions require technical skills that you should demonstrate but other than that just layering degrees does not necessarily make you a more attractive candidate. Rather, you should check what they want (go to job fairs, read job postings, get into contact with companies, network) and position yourself accordingly.

A degree is just a badge, that alone will not sell your person.

Edited by CharonY

I'd suggest both building up computing skills (learn and use at least one programming language maybe 2). And extra curricular activities to be able to demonstrate skills such as team work. Most applications where I am it's about being able to provide evidence to very points to get through the initial stage.

I would suggest getting your teaching credentials as well, both as a practical skill to fall back on and a demonstration of leadership potential. You could teach during the school year and campaign hard for your dream job in industry or research over the summer. All the other suggestions above sound good to me as well.

May success and happiness be yours.

• 1 month later...

A degree in Biochemistry will provide you with many transferable skills that can be applied to a range of careers. For example, you will develop extensive research and analytical skills. You will become proficient in statistics and will likely develop high quality mathematics skills. You will also develop good writing skills from completing a range of assignments such as research reports and essays. Computer science would be a fantastic addition to your current degree and would demonstrate flexibility, a highly sought after trait. In addition to your current extra-curricular activities, consider a part time job such as an administration assistant where you can use the skills you have gained from your degree but can also gain some valuable work experience.