Do you think in video or stills?

Graeme M

It appears to me that if I try to imagine movement, I can't. I'm not certain, but I think if a recollection springs into mind unbidden then there can appear to be motion (say a memory of a person running). But if I try to imagine a person running, I see a still image that is underpinned by the idea of running. Or a series of stills with the idea of running.

What does everyone else see?

• 3 weeks later...
Came back to this one and see no-one replied. I'm still curious though. It seems to me that when I really examine closely how it is to imagine an event, I find that I cannot imagine in the form of a linear, fluid action. As I said above, it seems that in fact I narrate the action, and then illustrate that with some kind of largely static mental imagery.

Try my example, actually imagine it and try to examine what you are imagining. If you are like me, then intially it will seem like you can imagine it like a little movie. But when you really examine it, what then? Can you honestly say that as you imagine this, you really can conjure up a fluid mental image that shows the movement? Can you see his legs moving, the background passing by (or him passing his background), his hair waving in the wind?

Or someone walking up a flight of stairs. Does it unfold step by step, at the right speed, all the way to the top, in a sequence of mental events that actually passes by in real time at the same speed? Can you sustain that imagining for as long as it takes? Really focus in on his legs, his feet as he walks up those steps. Is there really movement?

Edited by Graeme M

I would say I think in gifs. If I imagine a scene or something happening, it's the same tiny piece happening over and over. Even if I know there is more to the story, I only ever can imagine one part of it.

So if I think - I need to go to the store tomorrow, I only think about the walking in part, nothing about the rest of the shopping.

Yeah, for the most part I'm the same. Occasionally I switch to stills for visualization purposes.

Mostly in terms of considering duration and recalling non-moving images, book pages, schematics, etc.

And yeah, in general what your brain can simulate/imagine will tend to be bare bones unless you focus on it.

Edited by Endy0816

• 1 month later...

If I repeatedly watch a YouTube video, like a music video, then I can recall the movement depicted in the video, one example being that of Michael Jackson dancing. But if I catch a glimpse of a scene in real life just once, I'll probably just remember one or two still images that had made the greatest impression on me, such as someone's facial expression.

Edited by Bill Angel