Potassium Carbonate + Sodium Nitrate

navyou14

Hello! If I add Potassium Carbonate And Sodium Nitrate mixed together in water i will get Sodium Carbonate and potassium nitrate, how do I seperate Sodium Carbonate from the Potassium Nitrate?

"Hello! If I add Potassium Carbonate And Sodium Nitrate mixed together in water i will get Sodium Carbonate and potassium nitrate, "

Why?

Im using the potassium nitrate for an experiment but am trying to find a way to seperate those to chemicals

Hello! If I add Potassium Carbonate And Sodium Nitrate mixed together in water i will get Sodium Carbonate and potassium nitrate, how do I seperate Sodium Carbonate from the Potassium Nitrate?

you missed my point

"If I ... I will get..."

Why do you think you will get them?

Just because that's what you want?

you missed my point

"If I ... I will get..."

Why do you think you will get them?

Just because that's what you want?

Yep! Thats what I want a mixture of the 2 chemicals which I later on have to seperate from each other

Edited by navyou14

Yes, on paper it is viable to just switch the ions around. The solution in real life of course doesn't care as you introduced 4 ions into a solution which do not readily precipitate. Ergo, you cannot separate them. And just to throw a random fact about, I believe home-made explosives are considered to be illegal.

Edited by Fuzzwood

Yep! Thats what I want a mixture of the 2 chemicals which I later on have to seperate from each other

We all know what you want.

That is not the same thing as saying why you think it will happen.

you want the sodium nitrate and the potassium carbonate to swap partners.

I'd like to walk into a bar with all my money in a bag and for Bill Gates (the very rich man who runs Microsoft) to walk into the same bar with all his money in a bag and for us both to swap money bags.

But there's no reason why it would happen (even if we did both carry all our money in bags into the same bar.)

Why do you think the swap would happen?

The real problem is that you don't have 2 chemicals- you have 5.

Water, nitrate ions carbonate ions, sodium ions and potassium ions.

It's easy to remove the water- boil it off.

But why do you think the other 4 would arrange themselves in the way you want?

Edited by John Cuthber

We all know what you want.

That is not the same thing as saying why you think it will happen.

you want the sodium nitrate and the potassium carbonate to swap partners.

I'd like to walk into a bar with all my money in a bag and for Bill Gates (the very rich man who runs Microsoft) to walk into the same bar with all his money in a bag and for us both to swap money bags.

But there's no reason why it would happen (even if we did both carry all our money in bags into the same bar.)

Why do you think the swap would happen?

The real problem is that you don't have 2 chemicals- you have 5.

Water, nitrate ions carbonate ions, sodium ions and potassium ions.

It's easy to remove the water- boil it off.

But why do you think the other 4 would arrange themselves in the way you want?

Well I wanted It to be like this: NaNO3 (aq) + K2CO3 (aq) → Na2CO3 + KNO3 and then try to to get rid of the Na2CO3 from water because it has high solubility in water but KNO3 dont have the same solubility in water like Na2CO3

Edited by navyou14