The Bible and the Afterlife

Graeme M

Yes, they would say that to your face. The latest catechism was updated in 1992 and communicated by John Paul II. It is the document that is used by the church as the basis to teach its members about Catholicism.

• 3 weeks later...

I was raised in a Lutheran school and this subject always puzzled me as well because the Bible references what you said, ecept, I believe Jesus's second coming is just another triumph over hell, I never heard of it disapearing. The puzzling part is that there are stories in the Bible about a man who went to Hell,and wanted to warn his children to change their ways yet couldn't because there was no turning back. Also,Jesus communicated with Moses, who came down from heaven during the transfiguration on the mountain. As a side note, in the afterlife we will not be angels (darn it - always wanted wings!).

I was raised in a Lutheran school and this subject always puzzled me as well because the Bible references what you said, ecept, I believe Jesus's second coming is just another triumph over hell, I never heard of it disapearing. The puzzling part is that there are stories in the Bible about a man who went to Hell,and wanted to warn his children to change their ways yet couldn't because there was no turning back. Also,Jesus communicated with Moses, who came down from heaven during the transfiguration on the mountain. As a side note, in the afterlife we will not be angels (darn it - always wanted wings!).

Want wings? Join the airforce.

I just registered here, this being one of the few forums left on the internet from which I have not yet been banned. Anyway, to answer the question...

The meaning of afterlife in the Old Testament clearly refers to the evolutionary success of your genes after your life is over. It is your genes that have the possibility of eternal life if they are fit enough.
The evidence for this is that God repeatedly promises success for the descendants of those who do the right thing and failure for the descendants of those who do wrong. There is almost no discussion of heaven and hell, and what little there is is actually negative (Ecclesiastes 3:19-22).

The meaning of afterlife in the Old Testament clearly refers to the evolutionary success of your genes after your life is over. It is your genes that have the possibility of eternal life if they are fit enough.

Then whether you go to heaven is determined by your genes? So much for free will. And so much for John 11:26