Calculating kJ/mole

esig

I have two substances 20.0g 1M CuSO4 and 1g Fe.

I have found the moles and have calculated this for other reactions but what I am not sure of is if weather i should use both substances for moles in the equation or just one, and if I should use just one then witch one?

The equation in -q/1000/m

I have 0,00002 moles CuSO4 and 0,018 moles Fe

Well let's see

1g of Fe = 1/55.85 moles

20g of CuSO4 = 20/159.62 moles

So which one will be completely used up by the displacement reaction and which one will have some reactant left over?

Do you know what reaction takes place?

edit:

reading this again did you mean 20g of 1molar solution of copper sulphate?

The end question will be the same, which one is used up, but the figures will be different.

Have you seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmhD8BmEFIo

Finally this is a displacement reaction so what displaces what?

When reporting the heat of reaction I would say __kJ/mole of ___displaced

Edited by studiot

yes I did mean that I have 20,0 g of 1 Molar solution of copper sulfate, and the Iron was powder and dissolved in the solution, the video was very interesting though.

The answer is only supposed to be in kJ/mole nothing is mentioned of displacement.

I have found delta t, balanced all the equations and found kj/mol for all the reactions exept for this one since.

Do you mean 20mL of the CuSO4 solution? As with what studiot has said, you need to work out which of these is the limiting reagent and use that value. Don't worry about the "of ____ displaced," this is not necessary. Studiot is referring to the type of reaction you have, which is a displacement reaction.