Favorite toys when you were around 10 years new ?

Externet

Hi all.

Name the favorite toys, the ones that stayed in your retina, the ones you had, the ones your rich friend had and you always drooled for... :)

Starting...

- Pedal firetruck... well, I was like six. Unforgettable. Zero plastic.

- A building blocks set. Not Lego, did not exist then !

- 9 transistor radio. Had shortwave band ! Fixed it when was ~15

- Lionel electric train given used from rich people, and still in the family. Real all metal.

- A free-flight diesel engined model airplane balsa kit, given to me by someone out of the family because was too complex to put together. I did, and crashed first launch as I was reluctant to give full trottle. :embarass:

- An electric boat, about 30cm, made with real wood, 'D' batteries and perfect metal fittings, zero plastic; a perfection masterpiece that should had cost a brutal amount to my poor dad salary. But he saw me drooling for it on a store window.

- A firetruck, with a pressurizable reservoir, hose and valves. Tadpoles grew to frogs in it, as I forgot them for a week+. Ah... metal cast, zero plastic.

- A CocaCola metal delivery truck with dozens of individual 1cm bottles, and cases and shelves for them. :P

- A Schuco Mercedes benz, windup, with working gear shifting and steering. All cast metal too.

- A .177 caliber air pistol. Nobody else had or seen one.

- A galena radio. This kicked me into electronics engineering.

Envy from friends:

- Real chemistry set, when you could really make experiments without today's legalese intrusion,

- A vacuum-forming set. Made objects from plastic sheets... still want one. :-(

- Bicycle :o

So sad to see kids today hooked to the f'kn Nintendos and other screen crap.

Your turn...

Edited by Externet

I inherited my brothers chemistry set when he went to medical school - which meant a pre-teen got hold of a chemistry set that was way too dangerous for an A'level student. very cool.

I had a steam traction engine that ran on a meths burner - it never really worked as well as it should but I loved taking it apart to clean and fix it.

Chris across the road had a lovely vw beetle that we stripped and repaired at an aggregate age of about 24 - it was about 3 years after we got it running that he was finally allowed to drive it legally.

But best of all was pressie from big brother of a book describing how to make paper models of the regular polyhedra by this amazing guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_Wenninger.

As you can see from my avatar - paper modelling has never let me go