Strange dark stuff is making the universe too bright

EdEarl

newscientist.com

LIGHT is in crisis. The universe is far brighter than it should be based on the number of light-emitting objects we can find, a cosmic accounting problem that has astronomers baffled.

"Something is very wrong," says Juna Kollmeier at the Observatories of the Carnegie Institution of Washington in Pasadena, California.

Solving the mystery could show us novel ways to hunt for dark matter, or reveal the presence of another unknown "dark" component to the cosmos.

"It's such a big discrepancy that whatever we find is going to be amazing, and it will overturn something we currently think is true," says Kollmeier.

Could some of it be photons spontaneously created by dark energy?

and it will overturn something we currently think is true

Umm. I'm pretty sure we already know pretty much everything already and if we think it is true then it must be.

I think all accepted science should be based on facts witnessed using the scientific method, but it seems there are too many willing to fill the gaps in their knowledge with presumed facts. i.e. I do not believe in Spontaneous Human Combustion, but nobody has or can prove it does not exist, yet I'd wager 99% of people are 100% convinced (like me) that it is impossible.

There are Theories of Everything that include concepts of god i.e. Walter Russell ("The Leonardo da Vinci of our time" - Walter Cronkite), but it has become popular opinion that prayer and such has no known modus operandi so therefore it cannot exist. (my first sentence was facetious if you read this far, but I bet someone will comment on it thinking it was serious without actually reading this comment).

I'm all for some popular opinion getting knocked on its butt.

Dark energy is only hypothetical. If it exists then there are many questions that must be examined before anyone could answer this.

Edited by barfbag

If we know everything already then how can dark energy be only hypothetical? :)

Later in my post I said that statement was facetious. Sorry.

The article was lacking information. I'd be interested in reading more. Any other good sources?

Edited by barfbag

I bet someone will comment on it thinking it was serious without actually reading this comment

You won your bet! I skipped the apparently irrelevant paragraph....

I'd be interested in reading more. Any other good sources?

I haven't seen anything else about it yet.

The article was lacking information. I'd be interested in reading more. Any other good sources?

here is the arxiv article covering the problem, there is not a conclusion as to the cause, only data on the anomaly. The article compares some of the suggested solutions but they don't match well with the data. Also it draws no conclusions other than reporting the anomaly. The data simply isn't strong enough to support any proposed solution

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1404.2933v1.pdf

as far as dark matter goes there is some further possible evidence of its properties that would also add some quantity of light,

"Detection of An Unidentified Emission Line in the Stacked X-ray spectrum of Galaxy Clusters"

http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.2301

and "An unidentified line in X-ray spectra of the Andromeda galaxy and Perseus galaxy cluster"

http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.4119

Next decade of sterile neutrino studies

http://arxiv.org/abs/1306.4954

if these turn out to be relevant then it would also effect the IGM to some extent. However (assuming these articles are correct) it may or may not be sufficient to account for the factor of 5 discrepancy mentioned in the first article (the relations of these 3 articles to the first is a personal conjecture, I will probably look into it further to see if their is relevant similarities, just for the fun of it lol)

So please do not jump to any connection conclusions lol

Edited by Mordred

@ Mordred,

Thanks for links. At least it was more about it.

As far as dark matter goes. There are some interesting things going on so I hope we'll know more within a few years. Maybe it gives off a charge to reach that state, although that is a speculations type Theory for now. It is a decent clue though and I am enjoying this thread.

@ Kang,

EdEarl, on 17 Jul 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:snapback.png

Then what would be the effects on dark energy after creating photons? Can we find dark energy from the effects?

Before I comment. I wish to say that the preceding post #8 summed it up fairly well with the idea that more research is needed before people even understand what dark matter is and there are theories out there that might support a statement like this somewhat.

He was however asking a question so I will answer it.

Possibly

!

Moderator Note

personal theory split off to Speculations

Everyone - please feel free to hit the report button if you think that a news story has been hijacked by a personal speculation. We struggle to read all posts and sometimes even when we read them we can get taken up by the content and miss the breach of rules. Thanks.

Pantheory - I am pretty sure I have already warned you not to hijack mainstream threads with your own ideas and notions. Do not do it again. I would have just sent your hijack to the trash if it were not for sensible and substantive responses. Please make these speculations in the correct forum.

!

Moderator Note

Please note that Barfbag's post above seems to have been mangled by our sometimes less than perfect quoting system. I have tried to recreate what I think is correct

//barfbag's post as it should read with corrected quote

@ Kang,

Then what would be the effects on dark energy after creating photons? Can we find dark energy from the effects?

Before I comment. I wish to say that the preceding post #8 summed it up fairly well with the idea that more research is needed before people even understand what dark matter is and there are theories out there that might support a statement like this somewhat.

He was however asking a question so I will answer it.

Possibly

//end corrected post

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.