About fertilizers

aruna1989

Adding the lime will reduce acidity, but that might not help much.

If the fertiliser contains urea or an ammonium salt (and lots do) you will produce lots of ammonia (and you probably don't want that)

thank you very much for your reply. so is there are any method to reduce acidity instead of adding lime????

... so is there are any method to reduce acidity instead of adding lime????

Wood ash.

Variability in assessment

Many studies have been conducted regarding the chemical composition of wood ash, with widely varying results. Some quote calcium carbonate as the major constituent,[1] others find no carbonate at all, but calcium oxide instead.[2] Some show as much as twelve percent iron oxide[2] while others show none.[3]

...For a long time wood ash has been used in agricultural soil applications as it recycles nutrients back to the land. Wood ash has some value as a fertilizer, but does not contain nitrogen. Because of the presence of calcium carbonate it acts as a liming agent and will deacidify the soil increasing its pH.[5] ...

Edited by Acme

It is impossible to say without knowing more about the fertiliser.

Why do you want to make it less acid?

because when fertilizer added to the soil it has affect to the soil pH. (around 3,4) it is not tolerable to the plants.when i add lime pH value is increase.but solubility has significantly reduced.

• 4 months later...

I'm a student that is doing a case study on ammonium nitrate and the terror hazards in the UK. I would thought I will let you know something as you may not find the acid levels or how to change your fertiliser that way as it is a big hazard in a new trend of terrorist attacks "smoke and stab" I'm not going to go into detail but I think that many sites on the web prevent fertiliser research to the general public. On the other hand there are way's of getting around this by just by conducting your own fun experiments just remember safety first.

So why not create a website to promote fertiliser research?

as fertiliser can contain high amounts of ammonium nitrate and when you start to talk about that the chances are its not going to be long before you get a visit from the bomb squad as ammonium nitrate is a main ingredient.

as fertiliser can contain high amounts of ammonium nitrate and when you start to talk about that the chances are its not going to be long before you get a visit from the bomb squad as ammonium nitrate is a main ingredient.

Which is only ever dangerous if mixed in the exact right proportions and you are hardly going to be advertising what those proportions are.

Which is only ever dangerous if mixed in the exact right proportions and you are hardly going to be advertising what those proportions are.

but there's still a chance of getting lucky and with general science knowledge or a forum like this some proportions could be shown for other things such as fertilizing crops and not only the ammonium nitrate but when you start poking around at it with other chemicals for example alcohol's.