Whats past the singularity of a black hole?

kirbsrob

I don't think your question is well posed. A singularity is a point or a region of space-time where, informally the curvature is infinite. I don't quite see what you are asking.

• 4 weeks later...

Singularity is a fancy way of saying we don't know.

It is a fancy was of saying we have a region for which space-time no longer has its nice "smooth" structure. This signifies a breakdown in the classical theory of gravity. Essentially we know there are situations where the classical theory just does not properly hold. In this respect you are right, we don't really know what theory of gravity should hold in these regions.

This is of course related to the question of quantum gravity which we would expect to regulate these singularities. People don't really thing that the classical singularities are physically realised and that quantum gravity, what ever that is exactly, will smooth these out.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually quantum gravity also has trouble describing the singularity problem,

there is one particular descriptive of the singularity problem I always liked.

"However, because gravity is geometry in general relativity, when the gravitational field becomes singular, the continuum tears and the space-time itself ends. There is no more an arena for other fields to live in. All of physics, as we know it, comes to an abrupt halt. Physical observables associated with both matter and geometry simply diverge, signalling a fundamental flaw in our description of Nature"

Loop qunatum cosmology has some hopes, so does string theory. Its a wait and see lol. LQC managed some metrics that removed the BBN singularity. I haven't seen how they tackled the BH singularity. Although they have a recent paper called Planck stars

Loop Quantum Cosmology : A status report

http://arxiv.org/abs/1108.0893

Planck stars

http://arxiv.org/abs/1401.6562

this article shows some strong possibilities and is still heavily being discussed, Citations are currently developing though some are already available including counter papers.

"A star that collapses gravitationally can reach a further stage of its life, where quantum-gravitational pressure counteracts weight. The duration of this stage is very short in the star proper time, yielding a bounce, but extremely long seen from the outside, because of the huge gravitational time dilation"

Actually quantum gravity also has trouble describing the singularity problem...

But we don't yet have a full theory of quantum gravity, so how can you really say that?

What maybe better to say is that given current attempts at quantum gravity no-one has actually resolved the singularities found in a black hole. Now, if that is quite true I am not, sure. There maybe some speculative papers that more or less do this. As this is outside my area of expertise I cannot say for sure.

My statement was only that it is expected that a full and proper theory of quantum gravity would regulate singularities and that people generally think singularities are unphysical.

yeah I agree with that. QC isn't a specialty of mine either though I am studying QFT. The paper I posted on LQC is interesting, they use a similar bounce methodology for the BB singularity. Both still doesn't correlate well to this statement

"However, because gravity is geometry in general relativity, when the gravitational field becomes singular, the continuum tears and the space-time itself ends. There is no more an arena for other fields to live in. All of physics, as we know it, comes to an abrupt halt"

lol I read a good paper on BH accretion disks, they had a metrics that gives a possibility of determining if a BH was in fact a neutron star. Both can have an EH. Its a lengthy article but has some interesting metrics involved.. The dynamics involved in the accretion disk is to say the least amazing. I would say that QC,QFT and string theory each have a chance of solving the singularity problem. Though my thoughts lean towards one of the QM fields of study over string theory.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1104.5499 :''Black hole Accretion Disk'' -Handy article on accretion disk measurements provides a technical compilation of measurements involving the disk itself.

lol sometimes I read far too much, I have a huge collection of articles and textbooks, from various fields of study. Cosmology, particle physics QM, QFT, LQC, N-Body simulations, that's the list of textbooks I have with numerous textbooks for each field. My article database is somewhere in the realm of 16 gigs worth of PDF's.

speaking of BH's and quacky articles you should find this one humerous

http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.6592 "Destroying the event horizon of regular black holes" lol maybe then we will know for sure >:D

Edited by Mordred