Lab Grown Hamburger, anyone think this is wrong

Lightmeow

I don't remember saying my body cannot properly digest protein. In fact, I eat a varied diet, including (occasionally) meat, fish, fowl, and dairy. Although, I am allergic to milk, it causes my lungs to congest.

I recommend watching the documentary, Forks over Knives, for research telling why animal products can be harmful to people, reading any of the diet books by Dr. McDougall, news about diet and osteoporosis, and I'm sure you can find or already know the link between dietary cholesterol and heart-disease.

You made the claim in a previous post. Acme just referenced that post, but in case you don't catch it, it's when you said:

Fat, oils, and protein are too rich in calories, and digesting protein makes our blood acid which leeches calcium from our bones, causing osteoporosis. Thus, IMO we should eat vegetables exclusively or only rarely eat meat, for health reasons.

As for the evidence you posted, I haven't got time to look at it *now*, but I will look at it soon.

I know that almost everyone will argue otherwise. Since this thread is not about eating vegan, I will not respond to arguments.

So you will provoke an argument and then not defend the provocation? Nice work!

Through what plausible mechanism?

The info about blood becoming acid is (I think) from the documentary Forks over Knives. Below are links to protein being the cause of osteoporosis. The last one (UNCA.edu) includes dairy as causal for osteoporosis, which Forks over Knives also claims to be true, saying that countries with the highest consumption of dairy also have the highest rates of osteoporosis.

Cornell.edu

Harvard.edu

UCDavis.edu

UNCA.edu

You made the claim in a previous post. Acme just referenced that post, but in case you don't catch it, it's when you said:

Fat, oils, and protein are too rich in calories, and digesting protein makes our blood acid which leeches calcium from our bones, causing osteoporosis. Thus, IMO we should eat vegetables exclusively or only rarely eat meat, for health reasons.

That does not say I cannot digest protein, it says everyone increases their chance of osteoporosis and heart disease by eating a diet high in meat (protein).

"Countries with the highest consumption of dairy also have the highest rates of osteoporosis."

The confounding variable there is longevity.

"That's because animal protein, including that from dairy products, may leach more calcium from the bones "

Or it may not

There is still no evidence for a mechanism, just an assertion by someone trying to sell her book.

In any event, if you are concerned about calcium loss- eat cheeseburgers.

The Cornell, Harvard, UNCA, and UCDavis articles are work by scientists, and there are others. I agree the science is in flux and needs to be watched to determine the final result.

The scientist and doctor (stars) in Forks over Knives are not the producers, and AFAIK they are not selling books. I imagine they were paid for the performance, and may get royalties, but their research and conclusions preceded the documentary. My primary care provider, who does not benefit from book or documentary sales recommended the vegan diet to me, and recommended Dr. McDougall's books.

My own experience eating vegan has been improved health. I no longer take high blood pressure medicine, and can take only 1/4 per day of a diabetes pill instead of 2 pills per day as prescribed; otherwise, I become hypoglycemic. And, there are other subtle things.

Whether there is an association between meat an osteoporosis or not, the proposed mechanisms (acidification of blood) is unsupported. Severe acidosis of the blood generally only occurs if there are other indicators (e.g. renal failure, diabetes) and not due to diet. However, diabetes and renal issues can impact calcium homeostasis and result osteoporosis.

The idea that an increase of pH in blood directly leaches Ca out of bones is a very naive view on calcium metabolism and homeostasis and is a big warning sign that the author is just making things up. Mind you, diabetics do benefit from certain diets, as it can for a variety of reasons. But it does not mean that the proposed mechanism makes sense.

Finally, the studies on protein and osteoporosis are association studies and the findings are inconclusive (there are studies that show the opposite effect), if you look across literature, but that has already been mentioned.