I know CharonY doesn't subscribe to that, but surely we must be, as no other animals are capable of having discussions like this
my immediate reaction to this was "yes, only humans could be so stupid"
1. do we know animals cant communicate? (actually they can, we are just to stupid to understand them)
2. humans need food, food=animals/plants, plants need animals to survive, animals need plants to survive
3. if there was only cows, humans, and grass on earth, 1 virus would evolve and kill us all in a matter of years(HIV 2.0)
4. evolution likes diversity (actually it just doesn't like cleaning up the mess)
5. humans are the most poorly evolved, redundant, stupidly designed, inefficient beings on earth. (their only redeeming trait is that they are stubborn furless monkeys)
6. if you are looking for the top creature on earth, look at a tree, possibly the most cleverly made creature on earth
also when we reach the point where we control the weather, freely manipulate planet wide ecosystems, have flying tanks, and can shoot plasma bolts from our eyes, we will be more machine then biology, so species wont mater that much to us, nor will planets, the only thing we will be interested in is fuel for power plants, cooling systems, and how many yottaFLOPS we can fit into 1mm^3 so we can run even faster simulations.
Edited by dmaiski, 16 September 2012 - 11:40 AM.