Photo
- - - - -

Effect of Human Waste on Soil and it's Inhabitants ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hal.

Hal.

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 3 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

Let's say for the purpose of this question that there is a person who regularly urinates on the same 100 lbs of plant soil day after day . Would a point be reached where the different types of bacteria present in the soil just can't cope with the chemicals present ?

Edited by hal_2011, 3 April 2011 - 01:23 PM.

#2 Hal.

Hal.

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

Can I also ask how ph of soil can be measured without using anything other than what can be found around a house ?

#3 Edtharan

Edtharan

Organism

• Senior Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

Red Cabbage can be used to make a universal indicator (to detect Alkalinity or Acidity of something), although it is not as accurate as products specifically bought to do so (gardening stores might have such a product). You do this by cooking the red cabbage by boiling it in water and then using this water as the universal indicator (it changes colour depending on the PH).
This sentance you are now reading is false...

#4 Hal.

Hal.

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

Thanks Edtharan !

#5 biojay99

biojay99

Lepton

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:07 AM

To answer your original question, Yes, the nitrogen and phosphates in your urine will eventually cause the area to be toxic hindering growth of microbial organisms. How long depends on many factors such as soil type, the eco-region you are in (makes a difference in the community present), the urine used (some have higher or lower amounts of chemicals), if there is any other toxins in your urine and a few more factors as well.

#6 Hal.

Hal.

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:05 PM

Post acknowledged biojay99 .

#7 Moontanman

Moontanman

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 7,878 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern North Carolina

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:23 AM

I would think the salt in your urine would be the deciding factor in plant growth most microbes as well.
Life is the poetry of the Universe
Love is the poetry of life

You do not possess belief, belief possesses you...

I'm always open to new ideas, I just don't let them crawl into my skull and take a dump... 

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but illusion of knowledge.” — Stephen Hawking

"In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ~ thomas jefferson

Check out my YouTube channel here.

If I was helpful, let me know by clicking the [+] sign ->

#8 anthony middleton

anthony middleton

Lepton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

it is a simple device that i bought very cheap at a DIY store. i dont think it is battery operated , it just simply has two metal prongs which you stick in the ground and a meter which reads the ph.
The two prongs are of different metals. They cause a 'Galvanic' action between them in the presence of moisture in the soil.
The flow of electrons between them causes ionisation which gives the 'Conductivity' of the soil as a pH reading.

http://www.fresh-environment.com
air duct cleaning San Francisco
air duct cleaning San Mateo

#9 rktpro

rktpro

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:09 PM

You can use beet root juice. It turn red when comes in contact with acid and yellow when base. But, you have to treat the soil first. You have to do a distillation or an evaporation because the juice won't show noticeable change when it is just poured in the soil.

Edited by rktpro, 30 April 2011 - 12:09 PM.

Science is fun, math is rum and music is a sticky gum!

To kill the zombies, click the [+] button -->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users