• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Rayon

Mr Rayon

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

Is it true that if you are sleeping and you have a dream and if you die in that dream that you die in real life?
"I do believe in fairytales. I do. I do. I do." - Peter Pan

"If you can't beat them, join them"

#2 vordhosbn

vordhosbn

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:27 PM

Yes.

Edited by vordhosbn, 29 December 2010 - 01:28 PM.

- Which is worse - ignorance or apathy?
- I don't know and I don't care!

#3 CaptainPanic

CaptainPanic

Usually himself

• Moderators
  • 4,713 posts
  • LocationThe little swamp at the end of the river Rhine

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:33 PM

Is it true that if you are sleeping and you have a dream and if you die in that dream that you die in real life?

It is a fact that everyone dies in real life... eventually.
Veni, vidi, modeli - I came, I saw, and I modeled it

#4 insane_alien

insane_alien

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 10,094 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:35 PM

you don't die in real life if you die in a dream(although you will eventually die in the future but the cause will not be the dream). you've been watching too much matrix.
Tired of waiting around for a reply on the forums? Use IRC, 'I don't know how' is no longer an excuse.

"Special" Relativity, stupid ideas seem smarter when they come at you really fast.

#5 CaptainPanic

CaptainPanic

Usually himself

• Moderators
  • 4,713 posts
  • LocationThe little swamp at the end of the river Rhine

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

Also, this is difficult to test, if your test subjects keep dying in their sleep, you lose your test subjects without ever getting a data point. :)
Veni, vidi, modeli - I came, I saw, and I modeled it

#6 TonyMcC

TonyMcC

Quark

• Senior Members
  • 808 posts
  • LocationLeicester, UK

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

What is needed is for someone to tell us he has died in a dream! That's not me: is it you?

#7 Cap'n Refsmmat

Cap'n Refsmmat

Mr. Wizard

• Administrators
  • 11,744 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

I've died in a dream. Shot through the heart by someone in a tree outside my window. To the best of my knowledge, I'm still alive.

Cap'n Refsmmat
SFN Administrator

#8 Marat

Marat

Quark

• Senior Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:39 PM

I have an indirect proof of the hypothesis: Last night I dreamt that I did NOT die and today I find that I am NOT dead.

#9 ydoaPs

ydoaPs

The Oncoming Storm

• Moderators
  • 10,199 posts
  • LocationLocal Group

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:50 PM

I've died in a dream. Shot through the heart by someone in a tree outside my window. To the best of my knowledge, I'm still alive.

I see dead people.
"Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us. But within that inch we are free."-Valerie(V for Vendetta)

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love and whiskey."-Carl Sagan[revised]

"The universe is under no obligation to us not to be absurd."

#10 tomgwyther

tomgwyther

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationNew Forest UK

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

A friend of mine died in real life, but dreamt she was alive.
(She was only dead for a minute or so but made a full recovery.)

What am I trying to say? What words will express it? What image or idiom will make it clearer? Is this image fresh enough to have an effect? Could I put it more shortly? Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly?

When I was born I had no concept of race, nationality or religion... And I still don't.

#11 Mr Skeptic

Mr Skeptic

iDon't-Believe-You

• Moderators
  • 8,309 posts
  • LocationDunkirk, NY

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:50 AM

I'm pretty sure that if you die in a dream you wake up from a nightmare. Perhaps not always though.

I guess if you have a really weak heart the fear from a nightmare might be enough to induce a heart attack, but other than that it doesn't seem like a dream could kill you. Or maybe if you dream that you're jumping off a bridge but in reality you're just sleepwalking.
Our voting system is broken! It nearly guarantees that we will have only two political parties that have any chance of winning, and that they will be very similar.

#12 DrmDoc

DrmDoc

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 181 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:37 AM

No! To confirm that someone has died because of a dream, we would require some evidence, direct or indirect, as confirmation from the dreamer. After nearly four decades of general study, I have not reviewed any credible evidence of dreaming as a cause of death while sleep other than deaths due to injury while sleepwalking. During an earlier age of investigative ignorance on the causes of death, the myth of people dying because of a dream likely got its start as an explanation for deaths occurring amid sleep without any outward sign of injury.

Dreams are how our brain synthesize or interpret activations in the brainstem that occur amid sleep. These activations are a result of vestigial metabolic neural processes associated with prolonged periods of physical inactivity. The memories we have of dreaming form as the sleeping brain arouses to wakeful levels of activity. Those memories are how our waking brain interprets what it believes it experienced as a result of the activation in the brainstem occurring during the sleep process.

Edited by DrmDoc, 30 December 2010 - 08:15 AM.

#13 divagreen

divagreen

Lepton

• Senior Members
  • 125 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:44 AM

I died in a dream once, too.

Not only did I die in my dream (I was murdered), but I came back to haunt my assailant as a ghost.

So that myth was debunked at twenty-three for me.
"It turns out that an eerie type of chaos can lurk just behind a façade of order—and yet, deep inside the chaos lurks an even eerier type of order."

~ Douglas Hofstadter

#14 Mrs Zeta

Mrs Zeta

Lepton

• Senior Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLondon (UK)

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

In some cultures, dreaming that you are dead is a sign of good fortune.
There is no Top. There is only Height

See my profile at
http://en.wikipedia....Marios_Kyriazis
http://www.linkedin....278&trk=tab_pro

#15 rigney

rigney

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Ohio

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

If life itself is only a dream, why should a spiritual world be any different? Awake, we fantasize materially. The dream world we sometimes live in at night, can't set us free of that.

#16 Twinbird24

Twinbird24

Lepton

• Senior Members
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 7 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

I've been stabbed in a dream once, and fallen off high places, I just wake up right after.
I seem to always get reminded of Inception now every time someone mentions dreams.

#17 Xittenn

Xittenn

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationDelta, BC; Canada

Posted 8 January 2011 - 01:29 AM

But does it still hold if you die in a dream and are spiritually released as a soul? Would the soul not then have to die as well? I've had a mix of dreams some involving my death. Some I have woken up before death, one I was left immobile in a dessert as a spirit for 50 years. Most often my death in a dream causes me to time shift because in my dreams I am a network of individuals that are linked over a span of thousands of years. Only once have I died and only faded to black, I was shot not unlike Cap' and I am still here.
"He is their god! He leads them like a thing made by some other deity than Nature that shapes man better. And they follow him against us brats with no less confidence than boys pursuing summer butterflies, or butchers killing flies." - Cominius; Shakespears Coriolanus

#18 TonyMcC

TonyMcC

Quark

• Senior Members
  • 808 posts
  • LocationLeicester, UK

Posted 8 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

I see dead people.

In my dreams I often "see" people that I have known and who have died. In my dreams they are alive and I enjoy meeting them. I don't know that they are dead. I take this as quite a natural thing as all generations in my family older than me are dead. However I don't see corpses thank goodness.

#19 a p f e l b l u m e n

a p f e l b l u m e n

Lepton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:58 AM

no this is not true. even if it were, there is simply no evidence to support that theory.

however, many people believe dreams and nightmares can be interpreted as messages from our subconscious. for example, having reoccurring dreams about yourself dying could relate to a phobia of death that you have in waking life.

#20 Fryja

Fryja

Lepton

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

I am brand new here, so forgive my incredulity, but aren't we all going to die in real life?
Fryja

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users