Photo
- - - - -

can a black hole exist inside of another black hole?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 noz92

noz92

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 8 August 2004 - 09:23 PM

there's a theory that says that our universe may only be a black hole. if this is so, we have black holes in our universe, then would that mean that black holes can exist in other black holes?

another enquiry about this, is how would the black hole even get into a different black hole in the first place? would it be possible for a black hole with strong gravity (this is by black hole standards) to suck in another black hole with lighter gravity?

#2 Cap'n Refsmmat

Cap'n Refsmmat

Mr. Wizard

• Administrators
  • 11,738 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 8 August 2004 - 09:24 PM

Wouldn't they just combine together?

Cap'n Refsmmat
SFN Administrator

#3 noz92

noz92

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 8 August 2004 - 09:25 PM

maybee, but if our universe is a black hole, then how do we have black holes in our universe?

#4 ydoaPs

ydoaPs

The Oncoming Storm

• Moderators
  • 10,182 posts
  • LocationLocal Group

Posted 8 August 2004 - 09:25 PM

that is wat i thought (i was talkin bout cap's post)
"Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us. But within that inch we are free."-Valerie(V for Vendetta)

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love and whiskey."-Carl Sagan[revised]

"The universe is under no obligation to us not to be absurd."

#5 Cap'n Refsmmat

Cap'n Refsmmat

Mr. Wizard

• Administrators
  • 11,738 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 8 August 2004 - 09:27 PM

maybee, but if our universe is a black hole, then how do we have black holes in our universe?

Maybe they're wrong and the universe isn't a black hole.

Cap'n Refsmmat
SFN Administrator

#6 noz92

noz92

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 8 August 2004 - 09:27 PM

which post, mine or cap'n refsmmat

#7 noz92

noz92

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 8 August 2004 - 09:28 PM

that's what i thought, but they would have had to have thought of this before they published it.

#8 Cap'n Refsmmat

Cap'n Refsmmat

Mr. Wizard

• Administrators
  • 11,738 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 8 August 2004 - 09:29 PM

Who knows, lots of flawed theories are published. Just because you can't find a problem with it doesn't mean there isn't one.

Cap'n Refsmmat
SFN Administrator

#9 noz92

noz92

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 8 August 2004 - 09:32 PM

true, but it does make you think, with all the people who read it before it was published, you'd think somebody would have thought of this. but, there might be more to the theory that i don't remember (it's been a while since i read it).

#10 jordan

jordan

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 8 August 2004 - 09:57 PM

The more outlandish, the more apt people are to try and find out what it is.

#11 TheProphet

TheProphet

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 8 August 2004 - 11:09 PM

true, but it does make you think, with all the people who read it before it was published, you'd think somebody would have thought of this. but, there might be more to the theory that i don't remember (it's been a while since i read it).

Then it was a really good article! Everything that makes one think is of good character...

#12 ydoaPs

ydoaPs

The Oncoming Storm

• Moderators
  • 10,182 posts
  • LocationLocal Group

Posted 8 August 2004 - 11:16 PM

can you post a link for said theory
"Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us. But within that inch we are free."-Valerie(V for Vendetta)

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love and whiskey."-Carl Sagan[revised]

"The universe is under no obligation to us not to be absurd."

#13 Dave

Dave

boing

• Administrators
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 8 August 2004 - 11:50 PM

As far as I'm aware, it's perfectly possible for a black hole to absorb a smaller black hole. I would have thought that the smaller would just add mass to the larger.
Dave
SFN Administrator

Blog and photoblog | Get on IRC! | #sfn statistics

#14 noz92

noz92

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 9 August 2004 - 12:49 AM

can you post a link for said theory

i wouldn't know where to look, i read it in a book about black holes 2 or 3 years ago.

#15 jordan

jordan

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 9 August 2004 - 01:52 AM

Something I found quickly. Be back if I find anything else.

#16 noz92

noz92

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 9 August 2004 - 02:42 PM

Thanks

#17 [Tycho?]

[Tycho?]

Organism

• Senior Members
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:24 AM

Yes, a black hole can absorb another black hole, and gains in mass accordingly.

#18 yangxu

yangxu

Quark

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 03:12 PM

I don't understand how that universe = blackhole came up... but if we are living in a blackhole, how is it possible that we can withstand its gravitational force and still live normally? If universe = blackhole, there must be another universe outside ours to include it in...

No one has ever entered a blackhole, but I doubt blackhole's internal regions are different from the external unless the force changes dramatically; to me, blackhole is not a typhoon where in the typhoon eye, there is no wind... even if you get into the centre of the blackhole, I don't think you'll experience 0 gravity...

#19 fuhrerkeebs

fuhrerkeebs

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationSevern, MD

Posted 16 August 2004 - 03:26 PM

there's a theory that says that our universe may only be a black hole. if this is so, we have black holes in our universe, then would that mean that black holes can exist in other black holes?

another enquiry about this, is how would the black hole even get into a different black hole in the first place? would it be possible for a black hole with strong gravity (this is by black hole standards) to suck in another black hole with lighter gravity?

Your just misinterpreting the theory. It was Hawking who came up with it. He came up with it because a black hole eats up matter and energy, but it also radiates matter and energy (not the same stuff it eats though). So, black holes disintegrate themselves. The problem comes when you realize that all of the matter and energy it ate didn't radiate from the black hole, but it's not there when the black hole eventually disintegrates itself either. So Hawking asked, where did all of the eaten matter and energy go? He said that when a black hole forms, it creates a "baby universe", and that's where all of the lost information goes. The baby universe isn't inside the black hole, but you can think of it more as "on the other side of the black hole." But Hawking has apparently taken this theory back recently.

#20 Thales

Thales

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 359 posts
  • LocationQueenstown, NZ

Posted 16 August 2004 - 03:27 PM

Technically speaking the universe is a blackhole, in that light can never escape from it. IMO Gravity curls space back in on itself so light never escapes on the macroscopic level, analogous (but not the same as) to what happens on more localised scales with 'traditional' black holes. The idea of things repeating themselves on differing scales (ie a universe in an atom OR our universe is but a fundamental particle of a larger universe) is as old as the ages. However it looks doomed to the realm of metaphysics and philosophy, the different relative sizes rule out the ability to ever observe the universe above or below you, even if they existed, which they more than likely don't.
I am the exception that makes the rules...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users