Do we really eat spiders in our sleep? [ANSWERED: NO!]

the4thsanin

Right so theres a lot of discussion around this so i gotta ask: Do we really eat spiders in our sleep and is there a chance of dying from this?

Some links that say we do..Mostly:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AhnmjdGKRdSenvt7Y3aqqLYjzKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20070808190746AAgqC3K

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/35592

http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-23997,00.html

Edited by the4thsanin

Well, I'm guessing you end up digesting some of the larger particles you breathe in. I don't know why you would ever think of spiders in particular, although I guess if you sleep with your mouth open, and your home is extremely infested with very small ones, I guess it's technically possible, just as it would be technically possible to swallow any other small very small object without realizing it. Any "statistic" is pretty silly though. "Can you die from it" is a similar question, because, well, you can die from pretty much anything. I doubt anyone ever has, though.

Yes. No.

Yes, there are lots of bugs/insects, lice, spiders, mites, etc.

No, you won't die.

They are simply everywhere, and there is absolutely no reason to be alarmed by this. There are many you can see and many that you cannot see... for example the mites I just linked to: they're between 0.1 and 1 mm.

I actually don't think anyone ever did a study to determine the amount of spiders you eat. But given the number in any house, there is a chance that there is some truth in it. (In every house, not just dirty houses)

You also breathe in dust and aerosols. Did you know that:

"dust in homes, offices, and other human environments consist primarily of human skin cells, but also contain small amounts of plant pollen, human and animal hairs, textile fibers, paper fibers, minerals from outdoor soil, and many other materials which may be found in the local environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust

And if that was not enough: on your skin and inside your body there are million, billions or even more bacteria. Thousands of types.

In short: you're part of nature! And that's completely normal.

The sorts of spiders which live in houses are typically averse to damp and draughts, so I find it unlikely that they would leap into a human's mouth for no compelling reason.

And I concur that in all likelihood no study has been done. Those people and or sites which declare "you eat 8 spiders over your life" are talking ****.

What evidence can you offer to support this assertion?

It's only logical that sometimes a silly spider makes a mistake. I mean, they sometimes just float in using one thread of spider silk as a sail.

I would reverse the question: what evidence is there that no spider ever gets eaten by people in their sleep? None. Therefore, it's likely that it does happen sometimes.

It's just not true highly unlikely that it happens as in the myth: 2 or 8 per night.

Fair enough, but I'd further clarify that a blanket assertion that we all eat spiders is quite simply wrong. There will be some people who never once in their life eat a spider while sleeping, and others who eat buckets full. My point is not that we never eat spiders while sleeping, just that gross generalizations really don't support the scientific method of research very well. Further, dolphinlvr plainly stated that YOU eat spiders in YOUR sleep (directed both to the OP and to the casual reader of the thread). How the frak would they know that? Down here in TX, we shoot intruders to our homes, especially ones sitting in our bedroom without consent and counting the numbers of spiders entering our mouths while we sleep! ;)