Photo
- - - - -

What is the most dense material that can exist on Earth?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Lan(r)12

Lan(r)12

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLexington, Kentucky

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

Ive read that even a little thimble-full of matter from objects like nuetron stars weigh an ungodly amount on Earth. My question is, can this matter even exist on Earth? Is there a limit to how dense an object can be on this Earth?

Thanks for any info ;)
When there's nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire >|< :cool:

The probability of error is directly proportional to the degree of accuracy with which you are working.

#2 insane_alien

insane_alien

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 10,094 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

Ive read that even a little thimble-full of matter from objects like nuetron stars weigh an ungodly amount on Earth. My question is, can this matter even exist on Earth? Is there a limit to how dense an object can be on this Earth?

Thanks for any info ;)

short answer: we don't have a clue.

medium answer: we don't have a clue, but its not likely.

long answer: we aren't entirely sure why it is stable on an neutron star never mind earth. the matierial is pretty much entirely neutrons as the gravitational pressures have caused the electrons to react with the protons.

now, from out experiences in nuclear technology, we know that neutrons aren't stable outside of atoms, the undergo radioacitive decay fairly quickly.

so, this leads us to to a few possible scenarios for making neutronium(the name for neutron star stuff) on earth.

1/ it is stable, but so dense it sinks through the earth like a brick through air and ends up at the core of the planet.

2/ its unstable, would be the most radioactive substance ever to arrive on earth. everything for miles around would likely die within a very short time and secondary radioactivity would also be severe.

all the evidence points to 2 so far as we don't see small neutrons stars or anything.
Tired of waiting around for a reply on the forums? Use IRC, 'I don't know how' is no longer an excuse.

"Special" Relativity, stupid ideas seem smarter when they come at you really fast.

#3 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

Trickster Archetype

• Moderators
  • 6,212 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

I thought neutronium, assuming it exists, is dependent on the ridiculously strong gravity found in neutron stars.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

#4 insane_alien

insane_alien

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 10,094 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

yep, it is which is why we think that it couldn't exist on earth without first turning the earth into a neutron star.
Tired of waiting around for a reply on the forums? Use IRC, 'I don't know how' is no longer an excuse.

"Special" Relativity, stupid ideas seem smarter when they come at you really fast.

#5 Lan(r)12

Lan(r)12

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

yep, it is which is why we think that it couldn't exist on earth without first turning the earth into a neutron star.

that does make sense...i couldnt possibly see how something tht heavy could exist here. Thanks for your help ;)

The probability of error is directly proportional to the degree of accuracy with which you are working.

#6 timetes

timetes

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for any info ;)

So, what I just read on your question......the answers all seem to be no .....

But not one answered if there is a limit to how dense and object can be on earth? Why would it have to be radio active or like nuetron star? or dangerous?
:doh: maybe Im not paying attention to the question or answers

#7 SH3RL0CK

SH3RL0CK

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 728 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:21 PM

Since Neutronium can't exist on earth, the densest matter would then be the densest normal matter. This would be Osmium http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmium

If an atom smasher were able to generate some kind of strange matter, perhaps that would be denser. Of course, this strange matter would have to be stable enough for scientists to determine its density.

#8 swansont

swansont

Shaken, not stirred

• Moderators
  • 27,293 posts
  • LocationWashington DC region

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

The neutron star material has to have a gravitational attraction sufficient to overcome the degeneracy pressure of the electrons, and force them into the nucleus to combine with the protons and form the neutrons. This keeps the neutrons from decaying, as well.

http://en.wikipedia....neracy_pressure

The limit where this occurs sets the density of normal matter, and yields a value (according to the white dwarf Wikipedia page) of about a metric ton per cm^3

http://en.wikipedia....drasekhar_Limit
http://en.wikipedia....n_and_structure

But all of these conditions are due to intense gravity, and not the chemical properties of the material

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum                                   To shake my vodka martini, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

My SFN blog: Swans on Tea                                                           

#9 Mr Skeptic

Mr Skeptic

iDon't-Believe-You

• Moderators
  • 8,309 posts
  • LocationDunkirk, NY

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:54 AM

Might the densest matter on earth be the iron core? I know iron is less dense than osmium, but the iron core is under extreme pressure.
Our voting system is broken! It nearly guarantees that we will have only two political parties that have any chance of winning, and that they will be very similar.

#10 GDG

GDG

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:24 PM

The densest material found on Earth is found in every atomic nucleus. OK, so it comes in very small packages, not thimblefuls: it's still the same stuff ;)
============================
Grant D. Green
www.contrabass.com

#11 Lan(r)12

Lan(r)12

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

Might the densest matter on earth be the iron core? I know iron is less dense than osmium, but the iron core is under extreme pressure.

Yeah, what about that?
You make a good point...

#12 falcon9393

falcon9393

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationHick country (that's all you need to know)

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

I am not sure but i will take a wack at it
My guess is carbon based structures such as Fullerenes: Graphite and Diamonds:confused:

"Dymaxion future"

#13 insane_alien

insane_alien

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 10,094 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

I am not sure but i will take a wack at it
My guess is carbon based structures such as Fullerenes: Graphite and Diamonds:confused:

they aren't all that dense at all. lead is denser.

a quick google reveals estimates of the cores density to be somewhere about 13000kg/m3 http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/interior/

#14 Mr Skeptic

Mr Skeptic

iDon't-Believe-You

• Moderators
  • 8,309 posts
  • LocationDunkirk, NY

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

a quick google reveals estimates of the cores density to be somewhere about 13000kg/m3 http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/interior/

Ah, so the earth's core is about half as dense as osmium (13000 kg/m3 vs 22610 kg/m3).
Our voting system is broken! It nearly guarantees that we will have only two political parties that have any chance of winning, and that they will be very similar.

#15 Lan(r)12

Lan(r)12

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

Ah, so the earth's core is about half as dense as osmium (13000 kg/m3 vs 22610 kg/m3).

What is osmium? Is it synthetic? A naturally ocurring substance? Organic or inorganic?

#16 insane_alien

insane_alien

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 10,094 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:27 PM

Its an element, naturally occuring and metal.

google or wikipedia could have told you this.

#17 Shadow

Shadow

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 614 posts
  • LocationPísek, Czech Republic

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:10 AM

Organic osmium, that sounds cool :)
This applies to the above post and any new ideas or media presented in it.

- "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.

#18 Lan(r)12

Lan(r)12

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

Its an element, naturally occuring and metal.

google or wikipedia could have told you this.

im currently boycotting all search engines lol
why exert unnecessary energy when you all can just tell me?
;)

#19 npts2020

npts2020

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

;)

You don't need a search engine to find wikipedia.:doh:
"Embrace those who seek truth. Run from those who claim to have found it." Vaclav Havel's advice for children.

my blog

#20 UC

UC

ydoaPs just lost the game

• Senior Members
  • 550 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

;)

That's the single most annoying thing I've heard in a while. A forum is generally where to ask stuff that you can't figure out elsewhere or need better insight that the internet fails to provide. You're wasting everyone's time.

Also, you could have typed in everything you need to get to that wikipedia article in less words than it took to make that post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users