Potassium Nitrate + alcohal = ???

Digitals

KNO3 will react with bases that have more active cations.

thing is, the only one is LiOH...unless the reduction potential of Rb+ is slightly more negative than -2.924.

im sure fused KNO3 will react with ethanol and zinc. just won't at room temperature

Thank's for the help, but I have one more question. I know Kn03 is used in a lot in the field of explosives. But its also used in rocket engines. On "AK's Experimental" *a web site of a memeber on sfn* Says that a mixture of Kn03+powdered "confectioners" sugar+corn syrup+ iron oxide+ proper mixing techinq you can get an quality rocket propellent. Is this true ?

link to Ak's site

That's awsome ! Also I have kno3 but I need it to be very fine, mine are quite large sphears... Is there a safe way to grind the kno3 ? Like a ceramic bowl and a wooden stick? or is there a faster way ?

*hehe besides buying powdered kno3*-p

Chlorates are fun, but KNO3 is much easier to find. My local Lowes has it as Greenlight stump remover, $3 for one pound.

I think the neighbors wonder what the thick clouds of smoke that originate from my backyard are from :D

with wood? friction? sparks? bam

Grinding it with a wood stick would (1. not explode it and (2. would not create a spark. If it did manage to ignite, it would burn very slow. That is, if the stick had been powdered.

I read in Uncle Tungsten that if you make a mix of potassium chlorate and sugar, and pour a small amount on the concrete and hit it with a hammer youll get a bang.

Grinding it with a wood stick would (1. not explode it and (2. would not create a spark. If it did manage to ignite' date=' it would burn very slow. That is, if the stick had been powdered.

I read in Uncle Tungsten that if you make a mix of potassium chlorate and sugar, and pour a small amount on the concrete and hit it with a hammer youll get a bang.[/quote']

It's funny that you mention Uncle Tungsten, my chemistry teacher just told me I should read that this morning in class.

I had never even heard about the book until today, and I heard it mentioned twice today. That always happens to me.

i read that book, i think everyone here should read it. Great book. Yes, latentheat, this always happens to me, were i here about something, then i here about it alot.

The book goes from his childhood chemistry, to more complex chem, then to radiation and light energy. Has alot of very interesting chemistry history in it also. Thats funny, i told my teacher to read it.

KClO3+sugar isnt good to start with a hammer. it isnt as likely to start reacting as if you use a drop of sulfuric acid. in fact, it's best to add a drop of H2SO4, creating very unstable chloric acid, which oxidizes the sugar. that way you can, you know, get out of there before you have moles of CO2 in your lungs

kclo+candy===> awesome. also chlorate are defnately fun, id say funner than kno3. theyre so much more powerful. found that out when my rocket exploded (it was my only oxidizer a looong time ago) and i was like 10 feet away- that god for the electrical lighter.