Health benefits of weightlifting?

Alfred001

You always hear about the health benefits of exercise, but it seems to me that when people say exercise they usually mean something like running, cycling or swimming. I'm wondering is there any evidence for any health benefits to weightlifting? And I don't mean muscle gain or fat loss, I mean are there any benefits beyond that that you don't get through running?

Running, cycling or swimming are examples of cardio training:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobic_exercise

While weightlifting, dumbbells or heavier weights, are rather HIIT, High-intensity interval training
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

"Health effects
Cardiovascular fitness

A 2015 systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials found that HIIT training and traditional endurance training both lead to significantly improved cardiovascular fitness in healthy adults ages 18–45 but greater improvements in VO2 max were seen in those participating in the HIIT exercise regimen.[15] Another analysis also found that HIIT regimens of one month or longer effectively improve cardiovascular fitness in adolescents and lead to moderate improvements in body composition.[16] Furthermore, a separate systematic review and meta-analysis of seven small randomized controlled trials found that HIIT (defined as four intervals of four minutes at 85–95% of max heart rate with three-minute intervals at 60–70% of max heart rate) was more effective than moderate-intensity continuous training at improving blood vessel function and markers of blood vessel health.[17]
Cardiovascular disease

A 2015 meta-analysis comparing HIIT to moderate intensity continuous training (MICT) in people with coronary artery disease found that HIIT leads to greater improvements in VO2 max but that MICT leads to greater reductions in body weight and heart rate.[18] A 2014 meta-analysis found that the cardiorespiratory fitness, as measured by VO2 max, of individuals with lifestyle-induced chronic cardiovascular or metabolic diseases (including high blood pressure, obesity, heart failure, coronary artery disease, or metabolic syndrome) who completed a HIIT exercise program was nearly double that of individuals who completed a MICT exercise program.[19]
Metabolic effects

HIIT significantly lowers insulin resistance compared to continuous training or control conditions and leads to modestly decreased fasting blood glucose levels and weight loss compared to those who do not undergo a physical activity intervention.[20]"

Running, cycling or swimming are examples of cardio training:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobic_exercise

While weightlifting, dumbbells or heavier weights, are rather HIIT, High-intensity interval training

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

"Health effects

Cardiovascular fitness

A 2015 systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials found that HIIT training and traditional endurance training both lead to significantly improved cardiovascular fitness in healthy adults ages 18–45 but greater improvements in VO2 max were seen in those participating in the HIIT exercise regimen.[15] Another analysis also found that HIIT regimens of one month or longer effectively improve cardiovascular fitness in adolescents and lead to moderate improvements in body composition.[16] Furthermore, a separate systematic review and meta-analysis of seven small randomized controlled trials found that HIIT (defined as four intervals of four minutes at 85–95% of max heart rate with three-minute intervals at 60–70% of max heart rate) was more effective than moderate-intensity continuous training at improving blood vessel function and markers of blood vessel health.[17]

Cardiovascular disease

A 2015 meta-analysis comparing HIIT to moderate intensity continuous training (MICT) in people with coronary artery disease found that HIIT leads to greater improvements in VO2 max but that MICT leads to greater reductions in body weight and heart rate.[18] A 2014 meta-analysis found that the cardiorespiratory fitness, as measured by VO2 max, of individuals with lifestyle-induced chronic cardiovascular or metabolic diseases (including high blood pressure, obesity, heart failure, coronary artery disease, or metabolic syndrome) who completed a HIIT exercise program was nearly double that of individuals who completed a MICT exercise program.[19]

Metabolic effects

HIIT significantly lowers insulin resistance compared to continuous training or control conditions and leads to modestly decreased fasting blood glucose levels and weight loss compared to those who do not undergo a physical activity intervention.[20]"

Are you sure about that? I think HIIT is running, too. Sprints alternating with slow jogging. Its not weight lifting. (tho apparently there was a weight exercise that was referred to as HIIT, but today when people say HIIT they are talking about running, I think)

Are you sure about that? I think HIIT is running, too. Sprints alternating with slow jogging. Its not weight lifting. (tho apparently there was a weight exercise that was referred to as HIIT, but today when people say HIIT they are talking about running, I think)

If you search YouTube for "hiit dumbbells", or "hiit weights", there is ton of videos..

f.e.

Where they were "running" or "jogging"?

From what I understand the hallmark of HIIt is achieving anaerobic exercise, independent of the actual form. Also it is also a form of cardiotraining.

In fact, looking at lit you will find predominantly swimming exercises for animal models and either bikes or treadmills for human subjects to study the effects of HIIT. I was a bit curious and checked out some more lit, but it seesm that weight lifting is mostly looked at from a rehabilitation aspect. I.e. rebuilding muscular function, reducing dysfunction.

Other studies that look at cohort outcome conclude that weight lifting may result in, well pretty much what you expect, increase in fat free mass, reduced fat, better bone health. Though they are also modestly associated with injury risk when performed at higher leves, which is probably true for all sports.

So far I have not seen anything that makes it somewhat special to other exercise forms, and the general conclusion is that well, any kind of exercise is certainly better than none.