High speed in Space?

Novaflipps

I was wondering about this: If you have a rod made of indestructible material. And you attach the one end to a motor and spin it. 1 sec per round. And you extend the rod so it reaches about 47.746.482m radius. What would happen to the rod? Ofc this contraption is in space

Edited by Novaflipps

I guess you are thinking of the fact that the end of the rod should be moving at more than the speed of light.

In practice the rod would bend, shrug and/or break before that happened.

This is probably related to the Ehrenfest Paradox: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrenfest_paradox

(I know you specified "indestructible" but that is impossible and so not really relevant.)

I didn't know of Ehrenfest Paradox. But thanks for the link. And It was mainly a thought experiment as this link refered to:) I should have specified that also. :) I know its not possible to reach the speed of light with bodies containied mass. Just wondered since according to special relativity times slows down near C or gets to a halt when reaching C. What would happen to the rod according to special relativity. But I guess it would be hard to find that out one way or another. And the speed should be exactly C. I used 300.000.000 to find the radius. Should have used 299792458 :)

Edited by Novaflipps