34 replies to this topic

#21 Dissily Mordentroge

Dissily Mordentroge

Quark

• Senior Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:23 AM

Why not marry your mobile phone or your laptop?

Many have.

#22 DrP

DrP

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 1,552 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

I've been together with my laptop for about 4 years now.

"Tonight I am going to party like it's on sale for $19.99"! - Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

#23 Endy0816

Endy0816

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Don't be afraid to commit ;)

https://www.cnet.com...e-in-las-vegas/

The interesting thing is that he really can trade in his wife for a new model.

#24 waitforufo

waitforufo

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

Sad.

#25 DanTrentfield

DanTrentfield

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCydonia, Mars

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

This is not promising for the future of the species. And frankly uhm.... that's a very interesting thought that you would marry your phone. To leave this without the sudden urge to vomit and rant about how freaking disgusting many of the thoughts that just popped into my head about this concept are, I'd say that this is the worst kind of loneliness...... Because how lonely do you have to be to marry an inanimate object that is incapable of showing affection. This is the exact reason why I suggested that robotic wives be provided to people like this because at least then it is halfway natural in the fact that the object is at least semi intelligent and resembles a human being highly, and instead of gobbling up your attention like a black hole gobbles stars it encourages you to live life and find happiness. Not to insult the poor man but JEEZ. 

#26 ecoli

ecoli

murderator

• Moderators
  • 8,648 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

Deep learning uses artificial neurons to make decisions, and learns by examining examples of things, for example AlphaGo examined thousands of Go games played by masters, then played itself thousands of times to build up a knowledge of Go games in its neural net.

Yes, but AFAIK, AlphaGo doesn't rewrite its own code.

[14:02] <Sato> I
[14:02] <Sato> want
[14:02] <Sato> Schroedinger
[14:04] == Schroedingers_hat [~matt@CPE-121-222-209-157.lnse1.woo.bigpond.net.au] has joined #sfn

#27 Endy0816

Endy0816

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

This is not promising for the future of the species. And frankly uhm.... that's a very interesting thought that you would marry your phone. To leave this without the sudden urge to vomit and rant about how freaking disgusting many of the thoughts that just popped into my head about this concept are, I'd say that this is the worst kind of loneliness...... Because how lonely do you have to be to marry an inanimate object that is incapable of showing affection. This is the exact reason why I suggested that robotic wives be provided to people like this because at least then it is halfway natural in the fact that the object is at least semi intelligent and resembles a human being highly, and instead of gobbling up your attention like a black hole gobbles stars it encourages you to live life and find happiness. Not to insult the poor man but JEEZ. 

Really posted for the laughs, people have married all kinds of odd things. More than enough reproduction occurring, not going to hurt anything for people to have some fun or just be their crazy human selves.

As for me, I believe I have found my soulmate :wub:

eMNYjDHm.jpg?2

Edited by Endy0816, 12 January 2017 - 04:45 PM.

#28 EdEarl

EdEarl

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

Yes, but AFAIK, AlphaGo doesn't rewrite its own code.

True, but it can learn pretty much anything without its code being modified. Current limits on computers, and neural net technology limits the total amount it can learn.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. -- Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama.

Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation. -- Edward R. Murrow

Uncertainty Principle = Shit Happens.

#29 DanTrentfield

DanTrentfield

Meson

• Senior Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationCydonia, Mars

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

Really posted for the laughs, people have married all kinds of odd things. More than enough reproduction occurring, not going to hurt anything for people to have some fun or just be their crazy human selves.

eMNYjDHm.jpg?2

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Oh wow.....

#30 ecoli

ecoli

murderator

• Moderators
  • 8,648 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

True, but it can learn pretty much anything without its code being modified. Current limits on computers, and neural net technology limits the total amount it can learn.

Uh what? AlphaGo can only learn about Go.

From the abstract of the Nature paper:

Here we introduce a new approach to computer Go that uses ‘value networks’ to evaluate board positions and ‘policy networks’ to select moves.

Maybe, you could retrain the neural net to play a different game, but you would require a new software pipeline to obtain data, i.e. which is surely code modification. Reinforcement learning (i.e. playing games of Go against itself) selects strategies for winning at Go, only.

[14:04] == Schroedingers_hat [~matt@CPE-121-222-209-157.lnse1.woo.bigpond.net.au] has joined #sfn

#31 EdEarl

EdEarl

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

Uh what? AlphaGo can only learn about Go.

From the abstract of the Nature paper:

Maybe, you could retrain the neural net to play a different game, but you would require a new software pipeline to obtain data, i.e. which is surely code modification. Reinforcement learning (i.e. playing games of Go against itself) selects strategies for winning at Go, only.

It has a pipeline that knows Go, that attaches to Deep Mind, that decides which moves to make. Deep Mind is a general purpose neural net.

nature.com

The IBM chess computer Deep Blue, which famously beat grandmaster Garry Kasparov in 1997, was explicitly programmed to win at the game. But AlphaGo was not preprogrammed to play Go: rather, it learned using a general-purpose algorithm that allowed it to interpret the game’s patterns, in a similar way to how a DeepMind program learned to play 49 different arcade games2.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. -- Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama.

Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation. -- Edward R. Murrow

#32 ecoli

ecoli

murderator

• Moderators
  • 8,648 posts
  • LocationNY, NY

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:59 AM

which still isn't rewriting it's code, which was my only point.

#33 EdEarl

EdEarl

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:17 AM

which still isn't rewriting it's code, which was my only point.

One day AI will write code, but that's not done yet AFAIK. It may take AI sentience.

Edited by EdEarl, 13 January 2017 - 02:17 AM.

#34 Dissily Mordentroge

Dissily Mordentroge

Quark

• Senior Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:33 AM

eMNYjDHm.jpg?2 But you'd have to stand on a chair to mate with it !

#35 Endy0816

Endy0816

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

Many couples find ways to overcome anatomical issues ;)

I think the real ethical questions will come when robots have more generalized ai's. Right now we're still at AI as a single purpose tool stage.

People have married inanimate objects and animals before, so a definite precedent exists that marriage is not restricted to two human beings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users