What controls all cells aging?

fredreload

So I've been thinking about cells and aging. And I hit upon a question. Let's I am examining the aging of two cells at my hand, one on my right hand, the other on my left hand. We agree that when we grow until adult hood, our cells stop dividing and being to age. But why do all the cells in our body age at the same rate? If the cell in my right hand is 30 years old, then the cell on my right hand should also be 30 years old. It is as though they are able to communicate and synchronize the aging rate with each other. It could also be that, I got two clocks all set at 8:00AM and alarm goes off at 5:00PM as the DNA unwinding and aging scenario if I imagine DNA to be like a clock.

Well, I feel that the cells communicate with each other as they age seems like a more possible method. I am speculating here that if we can find the agent that signals the cell to age it would be easy to solve this problem, but of course it could also be the other case. MicroRNA could be involved with cell to cell communication.

Well I haven't thought of ways to manipulate this one. An internal clock to every single cell in the entire body all synchronize to age at the same rate. We'll need to find some way to hack this clock.

Tell me what you think and let me know which is the case

Your cells never stop dividing. They are constantly dying and being replaced. If they no longer divided, your wounds would never heal, you'd never be able to gain any weight or muscle mass and you would just generally deteriorate rather quickly.

Well my guess is that you're saying the second case is more likely. I suspect that wound healing also has to do with microRNA as some suggested that microRNA plays a role for lizard's tail regeneration. But let me add that there is a Nobel Prize winner capable of resetting any cells in the body to its stem cell state using four transcription factors. it takes a few cell divisions to return back to the stem cells state, but it applies for any cell type. When in stem cell state all DNA damage, mitochondrial damage, and telomere length is restored. But how do you reverse aging one step at a time?

Your cells never stop dividing. They are constantly dying and being replaced. If they no longer divided, your wounds would never heal, you'd never be able to gain any weight or muscle mass and you would just generally deteriorate rather quickly. ​

Yet some small animals appear to have biological immortality in the right conditions.

Yet some small animals appear to have biological immortality in the right conditions.

I'm not sure what there is a "yet" there. One of the more famous examples is a jellyfish that obtains its biological immortality status by having the ability to revert to an immature polyp colony after previously reaching sexual maturity. It would hardly be able to do so if its cells became fixed upon reaching maturity.

So I've been thinking about cells and aging. And I hit upon a question. Let's I am examining the aging of two cells at my hand, one on my right hand, the other on my left hand. We agree that when we grow until adult hood, our cells stop dividing and being to age.

That is entirely false. We got many cell types in our bodies and the life cycle of them, depending on type ranges from days to years. It is not directly coupled with the organismal age. We have stem cells and other less differentiated cells that can proliferate throughout our life, otherwise wound healing and regneration would be impossible. If you arrest cell division you are going to die.

I'm not sure what there is a "yet" there. One of the more famous examples is a jellyfish that obtains its biological immortality status by having the ability to revert to an immature polyp colony after previously reaching sexual maturity. It would hardly be able to do so if its cells became fixed upon reaching maturity.

The immortal jelly fish does it with transdifferentiation, the definition of transdifferentiation is the ability for one cell type to convert to another without going through the pluripotent state, or becoming a stem cell. So the first thing we need to figure out is what signals the specialized cell to differentiate. That could be used for us to trigger our own cells to start the transdifferentiation process. Clearly because transdifferentiation requires a change in the cell type and it is best for us to learn from nature. After that we try to figure out if we can transdifferentiate the cell into the same type, but few years younger without having to revert back to the pluripotent state. So nerve cell becomes the same nerve cell but a few years younger. Now if you revert it to back say back when you are 10 years old the size and shape would be different so I would maybe set the age at 30 when cell division stops. Thing is I never picture the cell to reverse growth, it would have to jump back to an earlier stage, just like you can't stop a single directional car from moving backward, you can only change it's position to an earlier place. Now we learn from the Nobel Prize winner that the cell's DNA damage, mitochondrial damage, and telomere length is restored when the cell is revert back to its stem cell state. So if we can jump back and have our DNA damage, mitochondrial damage, and telomere length partially restored to age 30 then it would work. Thing is if we need to change our entire body back into stem cells then grow from there I wouldn't know how well that would work.

P.S. So the question about immortal jelly fish is, does its tissue really revert back into an earlier stage without turning into a different tissue type. If it does then it would be of use to us

Edited by fredreload