1 member has voted

1. 1. JP III - T-rex Vs. Spino

• T-rex should have snapped Spino like a twig
    • Sure, Spino could kill T-rex without a problem
    • It's a close call, could go either way
    • The director can do whatever he wants
    • Impossible to guess

Regarding Jurassic Park III . . .

Was anyone else as thoroughly pissed by the concept of a Spinosaur killing a T-rex? Sure, Spino was longer, with a possibility of having longer jaws, but really, it was a lightweight, it's jaws were propotionately much weaker, and most of it's teeth were about an inch long, designed to catch FISH!!!!

I know that there were larger, possibly more powerful predatory dinos than Tyrannosaurus rex (Carcharodontosaurus, Giganotosaurus, etc), but Spinosaurus was not one of them.

I'm just letting off some steam. Just watched it last night again, and it rekindled some old anger.

Yup. And do you really thing you could hear a phone ring from across a meadow, through several feet of meat and tissue? No. I hated that director.

Most directors do not like scientific fact. :)

There's a line between scientific fact and sheer common sense. And common sense states that if I can't hear a cell phone clipped to my own belt, I won't hear one in the intestinal tract of a giant lizard a hundred yards away.

There's a line between scientific fact and sheer common sense. And common sense states that if I can't hear a cell phone clipped to my own belt, I won't hear one in the intestinal tract of a giant lizard a hundred yards away.

i think your just being too picky.

why cant jedi fly, AP? are they not objects within the force just like everything else?

Yeah, that's always bugged me too, they should be able to hover at least. :embarass:

I admit, the Spino-phone thing provided a bit o' comic humor otherwise absent in the third movie. I'm usually okay with the things people change around or warp in movies, but for some reason, the Spinosaurus killing T-rex thing, and the phone thing really, really get to me.

i remember in one of the books they made a reference to it, just a one line "which is why jedi cant fly." kind of thing.

but of course i totally forgot what they said. : P it was probably something really lame anyway.

I've only ever heard about them slowing falls or extending leaps. I need to find that book. My luck, it's probably one of the ones I don't have, dammit

uggg...

that just makes it worse.

slowing a fall? whats that mean? they are exerting force upwards on themself, which means if they cant fly its just because they cant exert enough? size matters not my ass...

they cant fly its just because they cant exert enough?

I've read in yoda's new clone wars book about him levitating himself inside an R2 Unit's empty shell, which he raised at least two meters over a bathroom stall. Seems to me he could do it if he wished.

Anyway, Yoda's the only one I've ever actually lift anything of substantial size, The others tear stuff down, fling it around, or only lift small things.

I've read in yoda's new clone wars book about him levitating himself inside an R2 Unit's empty shell' date=' which he raised at least two meters over a bathroom stall. Seems to me he could do it if he wished.

Anyway, Yoda's the only one I've ever actually[b'] lift [/b] anything of substantial size, The others tear stuff down, fling it around, or only lift small things.

in the later series they like to move stuff. pretty much all of them seem to be moving the weight of a human. luke lifted r2 and a bunch of rocks... droids cant be light.

its basically just a load of crap so that they actually have some weaknesses.

I suppose in the later books i have read about luke lifting some pretty large crap, and some of the lesser ones lifting cargo loads and such....not to mention Kyp yanking the sun crusher all the way out of the depths of Yavin

I'm glad you are not dictator of the world Miss. Yoda. Imagine all the boring scientific movies. :shudders:
are you kidding? The stuff I've come up with can be pretty far out there and unfeasible, especially sci-fi crap. I'm even trying to write a fantasy/magicky series, with only a minimal of science background, a very small minimal at that. I even like the sound of explosions added into space movies, and I don't really care that the velociraptors in JP are more similar to deinonychus

The only things I don't like are apex-carnivores being beat on by overgown pescivores, or the phone thig. I don't know why, but the phone thing in particular really, really bugs the hell outa me

are you kidding? The stuff I've come up with can be pretty far out there and unfeasible' date=' especially sci-fi crap. I'm even trying to write a fantasy/magicky series, with only a minimal of science background, a very small minimal at that. I even like the sound of explosions added into space movies, and I don't really care that the velociraptors in JP are more similar to deinonychus

The only things I don't like are apex-carnivores being beat on by overgown pescivores, or the phone thig. I don't know why, but the phone thing in particular really, really bugs the hell outa me[/quote']

Ohhhhh Myyyyyy Gooooddd!

People, that is what happens when you live for 900 years. ;)

Spino and Tyranno....mafia drug lords of Brazillia! Don't mess wid dem kiddies!

I suppose in the later books i have read about luke lifting some pretty large crap, and some of the lesser ones lifting cargo loads and such....not to mention Kyp yanking the sun crusher all the way out of the depths of Yavin

or pushing singularities into ships. have you read the latest ones?

i think they move big stuff, but the authors like to keep it for special occasions.

I voted for the third option. It could go either way, and I think that the fight was supposed to set Spino up as an even more terrifying villain than the Tyranno (think, hell, I know). Jurassic park has never concerned itself too much with facts. Velociraptor was a tiny carnivore, and they have it more like a Utahraptor (which, coincidentally, was just discovered a little after JP was made). Spinosaurus was a little longer than Tyrannosaurus, but, like other Spinosaurid theropods (like Irritator, Baryonyx), it had weak jaws for a carnivore, and was very gracile. Plus, paloeontologists are starting to think it may have had a hump instead of a sail. The spines that stick up are less like the spines supporting say, Dimetrodon's sail, but more like the ones supporting a camel's hump. Its fossils are found in modern Egypt, a desert, so this makes further sense. Also hadrosaur named Ouranosaurus lived at the same place and time, and shared the same spines. So I couldn't imagine a skinny, humped, weak-jawed dinosaur being that formidable. Back to the point, if Spinosaurus and Tyrannosaurus ever met, the stronger Tyrannosaurus would be my bet, but who knows?

The only things I don't like are apex-carnivores being beat on by overgown pescivores, or the phone thig. I don't know why, but the phone thing in particular really, really bugs the hell outa me

Paleonologists not sure whether or not Spinosaurus was definitely a piscivore, but its jaws certainly seem to point in that direction. Mokele probably knows better than me. The phone thing added a cool element to the film, but I agree, it annoyed the crap out of me too. I can't watch it with my girlfriend anymore becuase all I do is complain about how unbelievable it is. You'll be lucky if you can hear some phones if you put a pillow over it; I want a phone that can be heard through layers of dinosaur stomach lining, muscle, fat and skin, I don't know about you guys...

It'd be like a foghorn. After hearing it go off a couple times, you'd need it to be that loud just to hear it at all. :)

What's the new sauropod with a double row of spines, Amargasaurus? :confused:

And I don't know, but whenever I see the movies, then pictures of various dromaeosaurs compared to man, the JP raptors seem much closer to Deinonychus (correct sp this time) rather than Uah. I know everyone and everything refers to tham being more like Utahs, but they just seem far too small, whereas thy're just about the right size to be the Deinons.

or pushing singularities into ships. have you read the latest ones?

i think they move big stuff' date=' but the authors like to keep it for special occasions.[/quote'] You mean the New Jedi Order series? I own and have read each book twice, though I have yet to read that E-book one, Ylesia or whatever. I can't remember, did they actually move the singularites, or did they just nudge the missiles into them? I kind of zoned out during the dogfights for some reason, unless there was a capitol ship.

And I know that in some of the the Young and Junior Jedi Knights series, they have the kids moving around large blocks of stone or very heavy crates of cargo for training

kyp pushed one of the ship's defensive singularities close enough to suck in the ship. luke copied him later. they like to use it in big battles as a one shot way of taking out one of the bigger ships. they made the excuse of it taking tremendous effort so we wouldnt be asking why they dont just do it all the time.

i think the missle thing you are talking about is when they used the force to push unpropelled missles toward ships because they couldnt be tracked without engines. this one actually became a frequently used weapon.

Ahh, now I remember. You'd think I'd remember something like moving around tiny frickin' blackholes!!!

Right, they called the unpropelled protons "shadow bombs." They were also fillled with more baradium, for extra "BOOM!!" For some reason I thought you were talking about when they staggered the torps so that the first would overwhelm the dovin-bassles, allowing the second in to do damage. I have no idea how I made a connection as dim as that.