High, High IQ societies, are they full of themselves?

Kylonicus

I was wondering what yall think.

I know groups like Mensa are where you just meet up and sort of have fun. It's alot of really smart people who get together and have a good time.

However, from my knowledge, most of the high, high IQ societies, like Mega Society, and Mysterium, are full of themselves. I have heard that the Giga society is not(in fact it was specifically created to mock high IQ societies), and I am pretty sure of this.

Does anybody else wanna talk about this?

it doenst seem like they are full of themselves if they made the group specifically to mock others?

i dont believe an entire "society" can be full of themselves. certain individuals may be. i dont think being a member of such a society automatically makes you arrogant.

True, but a society can be arrogant, while individuals remain humble.

People as a group are dumb masses, people as individuals can be smart.

Essentially with societies, you can have a society which puts on a superficial face which is arrogant and full of itself, while the individual members may not really embrace it that much, but simply accept the atomosphere.

Remember highschool?

Also, if a society presents itself to be full of itself, then those are the people it's most likely to attract.

I dont' know anyone in a high IQ society but i do know people who are arrogant and obnoxious. I think you have just as much chance as ruinning into arrogant people down at the pub as you do at the high IQ place...

~Scott

Guest YoMAMA

What kind of IQ are we looking at here?

Most people with a higher intelligence than those around them, generally think that no one is of a substanial level in which they communicate with. They become a bit socially inept, and become all these things which we percive them to be.

I know groups like Mensa are where you just meet up and sort of have fun. It's alot of really smart people who get together and have a good time.

However' date=' from my knowledge, most of the high, high IQ societies, like Mega Society, and Mysterium, are full of themselves. I have heard that the Giga society is not(in fact it was specifically created to mock high IQ societies), and I am pretty sure of this.

Does anybody else wanna talk about this?[/quote']

Maybe the grapes are too sour..... ;)

:mad: sour grapes! im still annoyed at that :mad:

from personal experience, people are arrogance is indipendant of intelligence, and if someone is arrogant then theyll find some reason to back up their view that they are better than most. if theyre arrogant and intelligent, theyll claim that their intelligence is relivant and makes them better than others. if theyre arrogant and athletic, theyll claim that theyre athletisism is relevant and that it makes them better than everyone else. if theyre arrogant and average, then theyll make up some reason, or claim that the fact that they are white is relevant and makes them better than others etc.

in other words, intelligent doesnt nessesaraly equate to arrogance.

thats my 3 cents anyway.

:mad: sour grapes! im still annoyed at that :mad:

from personal experience' date=' people are arrogance is indipendant of intelligence, and if someone is arrogant then theyll find some reason to back up their view that they are better than most. if theyre arrogant and intelligent, theyll claim that their intelligence is relivant and makes them better than others. if theyre arrogant and athletic, theyll claim that theyre athletisism is relevant and that it makes them better than everyone else. if theyre arrogant and average, then theyll make up some reason, or claim that the fact that they are white is relevant and makes them better than others etc.

in other words, intelligent doesnt nessesaraly equate to arrogance.

thats my 3 cents anyway.[/quote']

Pish tush, Dakky m'boy. I totally disagree. Most intelligent people when they get power (including me someday) are VERY arrogant. What the hell, it's our right to be arrogant.

if theyre arrogant and average, then theyll make up some reason
Most intelligent people... (including me...) are VERY arrogant.
see? :D:P

anyway, if what you said was true, id assighn the arrogance to the power, not the intelligence.

Pish tush, Dakky m'boy. I totally disagree. Most intelligent people when they get power (including me someday) are VERY arrogant. What the hell, it's our right to be arrogant.

I hear the sound of a horn being tooted by a penguin, coming from the North. :P

i think this was actually his exact point... your smart and you somehow think that makes you better than people. (you in the previous sentence is not meant to mean you specifically)

i know im smart. mainly because people wont stop F***ING TELLING ME. every teacher i have ever had has told me how bright i am at some point through the year, even the ones i clashed with (if being intelligent wont make a child arrogant, this will definately drive it home). in recent years it has really just annoyed me. the biggest thing i have learned in the last 10 years or so is that it really isnt worth a damn thing. work ethic is FAR more valuable than brains. when people say "smart" like it actually means something i just roll my eyes now.

id say i definately used to be extremely arrogant, i think i have managed to mostly get over that though. im smarter than a lot of my classmates that got into really good colleges this year, my grades wont allow me to do the same.

i know im smart. mainly because people wont stop F***ING TELLING ME. every teacher i have ever had has told me how bright i am at some point through the year, even the ones i clashed with (if being intelligent wont make a child arrogant, this will definately drive it home). in recent years it has really just annoyed me. the biggest thing i have learned in the last 10 years or so is that it really isnt worth a damn thing. work ethic is FAR more valuable than brains. when people say "smart" like it actually means something i just roll my eyes now.

definately.

as a kid, i was prettymuch as smart as i am now, which is rare. most people gradually increase in intelligence; i just shot up really quickly and reached my maximum potential when i was really young, so i was much smater than my peers and smarter than some of my teachers. this made me feel all superior inittially but as i got older i realised that inteligence isnt that important. basically, if i had been arogant, then i would have not ackknowledged this, as i would have wanted a belief to back up my arrogant feelings of superiority. hence my belief that arrogance is a trait in its own right, and indipendant of intelligence.

You people don't know the feeling of: POWER!

When you get bullied every single day by muck, when you are made troubled, etc. You really relish the power you have and take refuge in the fact that you are:

THE SMARTEST KID IN THE SCHOOL!

Smart does not equal success. No siree.

Success=1% inspiration + 99% perspiration yea go Edison.

Smartest kid in the school is not good enough. Maybe in the province/state, in the country, or in the world now that's okay.

DON'T TAKE ANY ONLINE IQ TESTS. ALL BALONEY.

You really relish the power you have and take refuge in the fact that you are:

THE SMARTEST KID IN THE SCHOOL!

But it's a school in Canada. That's like being the sharpest butter knife in the drawer. :D

Guest infoterror

Arrogance is not a problem if it is deserved, in my view. For someone who is quite smart to pretend they're not, e.g. "humility," is condescending.

Also, most of the true mental defectives I've met, meaning people with psychological problems or otherwise dysfunctional brains, think they're smart. Don't know what that tells you. However, most of the people from Mensa that I've met have been nice if a bit geeky, but geekdom has never bothered me.

In fact, I prefer to date nerdy chicks. Better conversation starters, better friends, better lovers...

arrogance is feeling that you are superior to other people because of some quality (real or imagined) that you have over others.

the problem is, your not a better person. you are not more important, you are not special. you are different. everyone has certain qualities, it sounds like kindergarten teacher mumbojumbo but i really believe that every person has something going for them despite being somewhat lacking in certain areas. everyone also has some flaw.

Hi, I have some questions related to this High IQ societies....

sorry if it is abit off-topic

Is the High IQ society real goal really to promote communication between smart people???

that society says that its members have a chance to assist coperative govenments, but for which country? USA??? (I am not an American)

I have accessed to highiqsociety.org/, and I passed one of its admission test, but it requires money to become a member, although permanent. I asked my parents whether I could join, but their first thought was something negative, They felt the goal is not as what it is, but with different intrigue (like with different other purpose behind the scene, you know what I am talking about, MONEY) and thought how on earth is so easy to go to such a society if it exists in any way, partially because they thought I am not smart, in their perspective.

Is it good or bad to join such a society?? any opinion??

thanks

Albert

However' date=' from my knowledge, most of the high, high IQ societies, like Mega Society, and Mysterium, are full of themselves. I have heard that the Giga society is not(in fact it was specifically created to mock high IQ societies), and I am pretty sure of this.

Does anybody else wanna talk about this?[/quote']

Full of themselves? Hm, a few of the members are full of themselves, yes, but as a general rule most members join to find like minded people they can talk to. It's nothing more complicated than that really.

The interactions between the members tends to differ depending on the entry requirements - The International High IQ Society with a cut off at the 95 %tile tends to be viewed as the coffee shop (relaxed and informal) among IQ societies even though many of the people there are also members of other societies with much higher entry requirements. It's probably the most active online IQ society at the moment and is the 2nd largest in the world, second only to Mensa. Others, such as Cerebrals with a cut off at the 99.7 %tile tend to be a little more restrained and the discussions in general are a little more high level although that's not always the case. Some societies are specialized and aim to bring poets and more creative people together.

I think that most of the ambivalence towards IQ societies is based on ignorance of the societies themselves and also of IQ and what it represents.

You people don't know the feeling of: POWER!

When you get bullied every single day by muck' date=' when you are made troubled, etc. You really relish the power you have and take refuge in the fact that you are:

THE SMARTEST KID IN THE SCHOOL![/quote']

This brings to mind an old episode of Saturday Night Live. The classic eps when Bill Murray was still on the show. Steve Martin was guest hosting. They performed a caveman skit. Steve Martin was this incredibly intelligent caveman and he was showing the tribe how to do all these amazing things and in so doing he was really showing up the dominant hunter (played by Murray) who was less than gifted in the brains department.

Well. Murray's caveman was going to kill Martin's caveman but Steve talked him out of it using his mighty brain. He convinced him that they should work together. The classic brains and brawn scenario. Murray agreed. And then they went to sleep.

Murray woke early. Picked up a rock and smashed Martin's brains out. Murray reasoned that he had killed the smart one and was therefore as smart as he. Now him's brains big-big!

So. What kind of power do you possess if you're being constantly bullied and picked on? The power of imagination? Escapism? The power of looking ahead to a day when you hope that you'll be better paid than those bullies?

Guess what. That's not going to necessarily be the case. As has been said, high iq is not necessarily a guarantee of a good life. In fact, a high iq could easily be a gun to shoot yourself in the foot. Most people get by just fine without one. They have social skills. They shmooze.

Consider yourself becoming a scientist. The classic high iq scenario. Guess who your boss is going to be? The chances are good that he'll be a bully. And if fate looks upon you as a treasured fool, then it will be one of the very bullies that torment you right now. But, it's almost guaranteed that he'll have been somebody's bully. (Note. I say almost. This isn't always the case, but I bet it's true a large proportion of the time.)

Anyway.

What power?

Seriously.

Guess what. That's not going to necessarily be the case. As has been said' date=' high iq is not necessarily a guarantee of a good life. In fact, a high iq could easily be a gun to shoot yourself in the foot. Most people get by just fine without one. They have social skills. They shmooze.

[/quote']

As you point out, a high IQ is not a guarantee of success although studies have shown that it is a good predicator, at least good predicator of what is traditionally thought of as "success". But Mr. "I'm the smartest in the school" up there is in for a shock if he thinks he can rest on his laurels. IQ is only one facet of many that is required.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rmestre

I would like to say something on my own behalf here. I am a member of High Potentials Society, Poetic Genius Society, and Mysterium. And the truth is I think I am equal to others, not better or smarter. Am I happy when I score good on an IQ test...sure who would not be? But that is just me testing myself for my own enjoyment.

Has my IQ reflected on my occupation? I don't know, my occupation really does not envolve algebraic equations, or spatial puzzles. But you really can't knock someone for wanting to learn, and or test that knowledge. Sure there are those who may want to flaunt their IQ as if it is a social status. But the fact is it has nothing to do with social status, that is something earned and deemed upon you by your peers.

The truth is many people join these societies to fit in somewhere. Many of us are just pure geeks and have interest and hobbies that bore many people. This is not limited to just high IQ societies, as chess enthusiasts, computer enthusiasts, even Star Trek fans can attest to. There are orginizations for every interest.

AND...there are people all over the world who see themselves as elitest for whatever reason, IQ societies aside. People just tend to point at us and judge because IQ is involved, without having a true understanding about why we joined or even who we are as people.

I'm 33 years old, I have 26 tattoos. I run 2 motels and 2 mobile homes parks, and am a fact editor for Reptile Care Magazine. I'm a computer nerd, my OS is linux, and I design websites. I own a website about pythons called Python Palace, and write poetry and am the founder of Simply Haiku. I collect stamps, autographs, Anne Rice books, and horror movies. I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Animal Planet. I own 10 snakes of different breeds, 2 gerbils, and 4 cats. I have a wife and 3 children. My favorite music is New Age, Classical, Big Band, and Gothic. My favorite food is Pizza! My wife has an average IQ, and I love her more than anything else in this world and worship the ground she walks on.

I wrote all that just to show, that though Im a bit of a nerd, and maybe even a little weird, I am average. No better or worse than anyone else. Nothing special at all, and I like it that way. My interest are my interest, for no specific reason excpet the fact that I enjoy them.

Anyway I'm done rambling, I just wanted to show the truth behind one of "us" :)

Am I happy when I score good on an IQ test...sure who would not be?

That sentence structure doesn't say much for the High Potentials Society, the Poetic Genius Society or Mysterium...

I am completely lousy at IQ tests - I think I don't have the patience. Since I think of myself as above average intelligence (doesn't everyone?) I have to conclude that IQ tests are flawed.