AP Calc

ecoli

Hey, are there any other high school students besides me, that are taking the AP Calculus test tommorow? Well, Good luck if you are!

Anybody have any last-minute tips for test-takers?

i am taking it next year. i would be taking it this year, but my school only lets seniors take ap calc. i'm using calc in my pre-cal though. we are doing some algebra review. we are graphing polynomial and such. i just find the zeros and then find where the gradient is 0. no clue how the teacher wants us to do it, because i read The Catcher in the Rye or sleep during class.

I would be, but since I live in Canada and because of the way our school year is arranged, we dont have enough time to cover the subject matter before the exam, we still have 2 months of school left here.

Well, my class is AP math 12, which is calc, so I assume we are talking about the same thing. I'm pissed, becase math is probably my favorite class and I probably would have been able to do well on it, if I had been taught the subject matter.

Yeah, I'm taking that tomorrow too. We sat around for a while in a little study session after school. The goal was to learn solids of revolutions (because I had missed those few classes) and we got through the basics but we got sidetracked and somehow ended up deriving the equation for the volume of a sphere from what we had just been talking about. From there it drifted away from math entirely. We didn't really get much done. Whatever though, I've never gotten very nervous about these tests. Good luck to you though.

im also in 12th. my school starts at either 7 or 8 depending on how many classes you are taking. but im in whats known as "concurrent enrollment" which means im taking classes online through BYU. when you are concurrently enrolled you can take a minimum day (4 classes) and that means i could start as late as 10. i chose to start at 9.

Hey, are there any other high school students besides me, that are taking the AP Calculus test tommorow?
I took it about 6 years ago myself, but I don't think much has changed since then, aside from the addition of slope fields to the BC exam.

By the way, are you taking the AB or the BC exam?

Anybody have any last-minute tips for test-takers?
Remember the "correction for guessing" penalty on the multiple choice section, and try to write something down for every free response question, because you'll surely get a zero for a free response question if you leave it blank. Also, as far as I know, there is no additional penalty for incorrect answers to free response questions.

Finally, bring a backup set of batteries for your calculator.

Hey guys, so the test is over. Whew, it was pretty hard. I hate to say I timed the part A all wrong...I didn't even get to the last 7 questions...damn, that hurts a bit.

Ah well...

It's AP English on thurs. and then I'm done!

BTW, I took the AB exam. Last year I took AP BIO, APEnvironmental and AP US history.

How did everyone else fair?

I think it could have been a lot worse, but I know I didn't ace it or anything. All I need is a 3 and my college will give me 7 hours of math credit, so I'm just praying for that and it'll take care of math for the rest of my academic career...

I spent a long time trying to memorize trig rules/derivatives, but there were only a few simple ones....and I had the washer method perfected, but then the one washer problem was an x= equation and that threw me off...I left a couple of parts (b and c on 6 and another part on one of the others) on the Free Response completely blank.

I saw a site online that said you just need about 215 points out of the total 540 for a 3, about 290 for a 4, and I don't remember what the cutoff for a five is (these are averages from past years), I didnt have any hopes of scoring that high so I didn't pay attention. ;) It does mean you could technically leave the entire free response blank and still pull a 3, if that makes anyone feel better.

The AB test is the only one I'm taking this year (I'm a senior), but I've taken four in past years. I think the Calculus one is definitely going to break my streak of 5's, though...

On the scoring guide I have its 0-24 is a 1, 25-39 is a 2, 40-57 is a 3, 58-74 is a 4, and 75-108 is a 5. Each free response is worth 9 points (totaling 54), and for multiple choice you do [number correct - (1/4 * number guessed wrong)]*1.2, meaning there is a max 54 points.

I thought every AP Calc test had to be taken today so nobody could give out questions illegally (since every test is the same)? And what do you mean what section? If you were referring to my previous post that's for the whole test

On the scoring guide I have its 0-24 is a 1, 25-39 is a 2, 40-57 is a 3, 58-74 is a 4, and 75-108 is a 5. Each free response is worth 9 points (totaling 54), and for multiple choice you do [number correct - (1/4 * number guessed wrong)']*1.2, meaning there is a max 54 points.

I found a scoring guide that went from 0-540 points, it's in the chart near the bottom of this page:

http://www.hsd.k12.or.us/schools/ghs/staff/abel/aptest/testinfo.html

I guess it's just a scaled up version, it gives you six points for each MC and five for each free response question, and the grade breakdown is like this:

370-540 5 Extremely well qualified

290-369 4 Well qualified

215-289 3 Qualified

150-214 2 Possibly qualified

0-149 1 Did you forget your calculator?