No emergency room in US hospitals ?

oldtobor

I have to take a trip from Europe to USA. Is it true that if you have no medical insurance you cannot be recovered in a hospital ? If you fall on the street with a heart attack that won't bring you to the hospital unless you are insured or pay?

I think people who told me this are exaggerating. Exactly how does it work in the US if you need medical/hospital assistance ? Is it true you must pay very large sums of money if you are unfortunate and get sick there ?

Also can you get a local US health care insurance for 1 or 2 months upon arriving in the US and at what price ranges ?

Thanks for letting me know really how it is!

if you are in the ER, they are legally bound to treat you. it doesn't matter wether or not you have insurance.

They will, however, charge you for the service.

This is true of any alien who needs medical attention without insurance. No country a tourist can visit will set aside funds for non residents. It's why all people who travel are normally legally obliged to take travel insurance, and why some countries will refuse entry without it.

Is it true you must pay very large sums of money if you are unfortunate and get sick there ?
If you are uninsured, yeah, you get charged an arm and a leg.

Also can you get a local US health care insurance for 1 or 2 months upon arriving in the US and at what price ranges ?
Yup. As mentioned by atinymonkey, it's called traveler's insurance. The price of it depends on your trip duration, and how much coverage you want to purchase. It'll probably end up being around $100.00 - $200.00 USD, which translates to about 77 - 155 Euros, if you take the minimum possible coverage amount. Here's a site where you can compare traveler's insurance rates: http://www.insuremytrip.com/myquote-1000-0-13027-339901.html.

It cost me £45. two years ago for medical cover while in the USA for one week. I would strongly advise that you make sure you have cover, even if at the end of your trip you havent needed to use it, it will have still been a good buy.

They don't have any kind of decent insurance where I come from; it costs 100 Euros but they cover only 20 dollars a day which is too little. All of them suck. I would like to get an insurance for 1 or 2 months upon arrival in the US and would like an american one that should REALLY cover you. Have any idea if they offer these in the US and about at what price ?