If You Had to Choose Any Institution in the United States...

For Prose

Hey everyone. As the title suggests, I have recently received a unique opportunity to participate in summer research at any reputable institution within the United States and it's territories. While I initially believed this to be an easy choice to make, I am beginning to find it difficult to decide on where to go.

While I would like to keep the exact specifics of the program unknown, I can share that the research would be within the field of biomedical research. I realize that this is an incredibly broad field and that one person's experience somewhere could be radically different from another's who went to the same school. The reason I am posting this is to attempt to receive as much advice and feedback as possible about selecting the best program for me. I am lucky in that I truly enjoy almost every aspect of biology and the biomedical field, and while I am very interested in stem cell research, I would be equally happy working on something else.

Additionally, feel free to PM me with personal experiences you may have at the top universities. I would like to hear the bad, good, and in between. Thanks in advance!

University of Chicago first came to mind. Then the NIH.

Personally, I would probably be the dude working on invertebrates trying to turn them into cyborgs, because that stuff is the bomb to me. The idea of taking a snail, "enhancing" it, and then giving it some "desire" to explore a virtual reality for "food" in a way it normally NEVER would, is the fun stuff: Biohacking into the digital world. I added something to the animal that was never there before. Aside, I think regenerative medicine will continue to prosper.

Regenerative medicine and stem-cell tech is a highlight for transhumanism and future gens. But I think, sociologically, I've come to the belief that cyberization will create a large reduction in sociological issues: So, I've increased my belief bioengineering feats. Proximally, stem-cell tech seems to require less work.

But, if I take a look at things, you're probably at a really basic level of what you do. You're going to learn molecular bio at all kinds of places, so the skill set would be somewhat the same wherever you go. You might want to go to a place that's using cutting edge technology to do the techniques people often do (I don't know who has the tech at the moment). But if you were to, say get into a bioweapons lab, that would definitely be a unique experience you wouldn't be able to get much of anywhere else.

Despite UofC and NIH first coming to mind, what then came to mind was a bioweapons lab. If you can get into ​anywhere, then aim for a bioweapons lab. They don't just let ​anyone into those. Skills might be similar, but getting access to the materials is a completely different story.

1. University of Chicago

2. NIH

3. NIMH

4. Bioweapons lab

Last I recall, UofC has a bioweapons lab.

There was an academic paper I came across, whereby it said a pharma company had invested in making a treatment for prion disease in humans. And they gave the drug some obscure alphaletter name, if I recall correctly. I think that would be an interesting place to do research in, especially if the issue is still cutting edge.

So, bioweapons is an idea. Another thing is getting in with a group that is doing human trials on something.

I think the general idea I'm portraying is getting involved with something you more than likely wouldn't unless someone gave you a really pretty key.

Edited by Genecks

Hey everyone. As the title suggests, I have recently received a unique opportunity to participate in summer research at any reputable institution within the United States and it's territories. While I initially believed this to be an easy choice to make, I am beginning to find it difficult to decide on where to go.

While I would like to keep the exact specifics of the program unknown, I can share that the research would be within the field of biomedical research. I realize that this is an incredibly broad field and that one person's experience somewhere could be radically different from another's who went to the same school. The reason I am posting this is to attempt to receive as much advice and feedback as possible about selecting the best program for me. I am lucky in that I truly enjoy almost every aspect of biology and the biomedical field, and while I am very interested in stem cell research, I would be equally happy working on something else.

Additionally, feel free to PM me with personal experiences you may have at the top universities. I would like to hear the bad, good, and in between. Thanks in advance!

I assume that your are an undergrad? The important bit is that you won't be joining an institution, you will, hopefully, join a group. I would identify the precise type of research you are interested in and find a group that does this kind of work. Stem cell research itself is incredibly broad and groups tackle the biology from all kind of perspectives. The easiest is probably look at the techniques they use, as you can acquire transferable skills if you learn them.

Note that the group also has to have the capacity to take you in, so do not make inquiries too late.

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on what you want to achieve out of your summer research stint. If you are a hardcore aspiring stem cell researcher trying to get your foot in the door, then you should do your homework in terms of which lab does what, where you are most likely to learn the techniques you need, and specific research questions you are capable of addressing for a 2-3 months project. If this is the case then I would look at the labs where there is a track record of publishing the best iPSC papers, for example. You're most likely to learn the skills you need for a career in science.

TBH though if this is trying to look good for your CV for medical school, another approach is to select the top-ranking med schools in the US and go through the labs and what they are doing. For example, in terms of US institutions, Harvard, MIT, John Hopkins, Stanford in descending order. You'll probably find something you like. It's vain but I've seen it being done before, and it works in terms of securing your speciality match. http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2015#sorting=faculty_value+region=+country=+faculty=2453341+stars=false+search=

IMO the most cost-efficient approach is to see if you can negotiate a lab that is willing to offer you middle authorship for your 2-3 months worth of service. If this is possible then go there. In my mind this is one of the best possible outcomes for such a short duration of work.