Would doubling the repair system help?

jelhanauz

So yesterday a question popped up in my mind:

Let's say we know all the genes responsible for our DNA repair system and let's set the ethical aspect of embryonic genome editing aside, do you guys think, that the mutation rates would go significantly down if we were to insert in one generation a copy of each gene into our genome?

My thought process was this: since one of the worst sites for a mutation to occur are those in the coding regions responsible for our DNA repair system, we could decrease mutation rates by doubling the already in multiple copies existent repair genes.
And I thought it would be interesting to speculate how much of an impact it would had if one were to do that.

I don't understand generally genes exist in pairs usually increasing this to three etc tends to result in disabilities examples are the XXX, XXY and XXYY syndromes. XXYY for instance is known to result in infertility.

Edited by fiveworlds