Learning calendar / Action plan / ghantt chart

I think it would be great that these features exists within each of our user space, they can be made public so people can see what your currently working on or follow your progress. Also i think it would make the forum more inclusive in the sense that people can get involved and help if they wished.

To be honest im about to make an action plan and gantt chart for pattern recognition (broad) and pattern recognition within timeseries.

Is the captain the main programmer? Theres probably generic templates for all 3 of these items implemented in php/js ?

Gantt charts. *shudder* that brings me back to my senior design project. The person I assigned to rework it didn't want to do it, so I had to rewrite it myself.

Gantt charts are really for project leads to cover their butts when assigning tasks to different team members, or to toss more people at a task that's not going to be completed in time. They don't apply very well to personal learning or projects. If you can't motivate yourself to study or do projects, having a lead yell at you to do it by X deadline isn't going to help. The stick is failing the team or being replaced, the carrot is usually a paycheck or passing grade. Neither apply to the auto-didact.

Edited by kisai

I think having a set of goal written clearly, in a step by step process is a great help when learning, especially from the bottom up.

It doesnt have to be a project, it can be set criteria for when you want to have learned specific things by or have specific things finished by.

I think having a set of goal written clearly, in a step by step process is a great help when learning,

Absolutely true, but that is not a Gantt chart.

Lay out your objectives, establish your methodology, set timed gates for completion of each phase (where a Gantt chart could be used, but would be of limited value), define how you will evaluate success.

Publicly declaring it helps many people to stay on target, but writing down the goals, rather than just thinking them, is almost as good.

One problem applying any sort of management control chart to learning is that of critical mass (of knowledge) required to achieve any particular stage.

Learning is a spiral process or recursive whereby we visit several, even many areas or aspects of our subject at a particular level, using the knowledge gained from the previous cycle and generating new knowledge to base the next cycle on.

You can't, for instance, learn how to calculate the area of a general triangle until you have learnt some geometry, some algebra, some coordinate geometry and or some trigonometry.

Management control charts are useful in learning for controlling assignments, but a simple calendar often suffices for this.

Hmm.. I don't think you want a Gantt chart. I think you want something like a course syllabus, which is a plan placed forth by an instructor to have the class learn material over the course of a quarter or semester. There are plenty of excellent, free online courses with syllabi online.

No i'm fine, the gantt chart was one of three suggestions that are all equal in usefulness.

The gantt chart can obviously be used by a single person (as i did at uni for modules and dates etc) but also if a few members wanted to collaborate on a project the feature would be of extra advantage.

Regards.