Just Over The Horizon

sciwiz12

I suppose I'm still somewhat new to computer science as I've only just started grasping at a deeper and more fundamental understanding of the principals behind the relationships between various parts of a computer on the software and hardware levels.

Here's what kills me though, I want to eventually start using my technology to at least make a little bit of money to get by, but EVERY time I look into the requirements of a money making opportunity there are at least six items on the list I've never even heard of before.

I have to imagine that if I'm going through it now almost everybody has had to deal with it at some point. From personal experience, how did you handle such requirements? Did you ignore the stated requirements and show off a worthy portfolio, discovering in the process that the requirements were more of a general guide than requirements? Did you identify the specific requirements of a job listing you wanted, studying and mastering the stated requirements before even bothering to apply? Did you simply learn so much in the pursuit of computer science related degrees or in the process of self study that no requirements seemed foreign to you?

I mean it really is a lot to tackle, I still am learning to accept that I'll never have the entire API memorised for C# and I still have to "finish" learning SQL, GIT, LUA, 3D math and GPU tools and coding to name a few and even that doesn't even seem to encompass a fraction of the list? Am I missing something integral to an understanding of how professional software development works? Is this just how it always goes? Is the list never ending and ultimately not as important as it seems on the surface?

I mean I still need to go back and continue to study discreet math and algorithms more in depth but I don't even feel like I have the time half the time because there's too much new stuff on my plate to warrant a good solid review of the mathematics... Which is sad because I desperately want to become a better mathematician.

It's just heart breaking really, it's like playing non-stop Pokémon for life,"gotta catch 'em all, knowledge!" But it's worse because trying to encode new information into memory is ten times more frustrating and disappointing than watching the pokeballs shake only to see the Pokémon go free. Can anyone relate to my pain or am I just being a big baby?

I still am learning to accept that I'll never have the entire API memorised for C#

I would say that is one of the least important aspects of programming. If you use a language regularly, you will pick that sort of thing up. But it just syntax. I often have to maintain or write code in languages I am not familiar with, so spend a lot of time looking up the names of functions I need, etc.

It is far more important to understand the principles of software engineering: requirements, specification, tests specs, design, modularity, algorithms, data structures, something about complexity and efficiency (e.g. when is it more appropriate to use a bubble sort or a quicksort), and so on.

Here's what kills me though, I want to eventually start using my technology to at least make a little bit of money to get by, but EVERY time I look into the requirements of a money making opportunity there are at least six items on the list I've never even heard of before.

So they are telling you everything you would need to study. But you're right the requirements to get a computer job are massive. You need to pay alot of money before you make anything at it. It would be easier to get a job as a chef etc. Alternatively you could spend the money you waste on electricity on tools and work as a handyman.

Edited by fiveworlds

Fortunately I don't waste any money because all of my knowledge of hardware is entirely theoretical. I'm more software oriented which is basically free if you are already paying the electric and cable bills as well as house payments. It's not the spending but the lack of earning that kills me.

I'm more software oriented which is basically free if you are already paying the electric and cable bills as well as house payments

Having the computer on uses a lot of electricity. Also changes to things all the time get annoying for instance I had to add this line to my php email script for it to send without an error now.

date_default_timezone_set( 'Europe/London' );

Edited by fiveworlds

Ah, so it is generally more fundamental knowledge and approach that I should be worried about than making sure I know the specific implementations of tools in great detail?

I would say so. Read about software test, development processes, testing, design patterns, test strategies, algorithms, validation and verification, data structures and, of course, test.

p.s. did I mention testing?

Edited by Strange