Couple of quick questions

BenSon

Where can i find scources of nickel around the house or for cheep somewhere (hardware store ect). There is alot of nickel plated jewelry for only a couple of dollars on ebay but thats alot of trouble for something i think i could probably just find somewhere. Also would i be alright to store sulfuric acid in plastic containers?

~Scott

Its filtered acid from a car battery its fairly conc but not fuming or anything like that. I've got about three quarters in a glass container but the rest i had to stick in a plastic bottle i think its PVC It dosn't seem to be warping or dissolving but just in case im leaving it outside for a few hours. I pretty happy i got about 2litres of acid from that battery not bad for free eh :D

~Scott

Edit: Its PETE not PVC

I keep my Battery acid in a 2 Litre plastic coke bottle, it`s been there for a year+

it`s quite safe to keep, just make sure it`s clearly labeled :)

I gather from your post that you`re going to try replicate my Nickel Sulphate "Problem",

I got my source from some old Ni-Cad batteries (I used 6 AA batts).

hope that helps :)

I keep my Battery acid in a 2 Litre plastic coke bottle' date=' it`s been there for a year+

it`s quite safe to keep, [b']just make sure it`s clearly labeled[/b] :)

And kept well away from young children who have not yet acquired reading skills. Preferably locked up.

or u could just buy some battery acid at a rental store, as H2So4 says.

But then i'd have to pay for it :)

Originally Posted by YT2095

I keep my Battery acid in a 2 Litre plastic coke bottle, it`s been there for a year+

it`s quite safe to keep, just make sure it`s clearly labeled :)

And kept well away from young children who have not yet acquired reading skills. Preferably locked up.

Yeah i labeled it and theres no little kids at my house so we don't have to worry about that one. As far as nickel sources go i dont have any nicad batteries unfortunately looks like it might have to be that cheepo jewelry. I had a feeling that they sold some nickel stuff at hardware stores it would be easyer then ebay well theres no rush i'll just take a look around still if any1 thinks of easy to get nickel im all ears :)

~Scott

Hang on, why was it in the car park, maybe it was flat?

Mind you do you have a charger? You better try recharging it.

Hmm i would test the pH to see how acidic it is, seeing as you found it.

It probably was flat thats why someone turfed it. Its still very acidic I tried it on some magnesium ribbon it dissolved very quickly. I spose i could have recharged it but whenever i mess areound with my car battery I kill the presets...

~Scott

Hang on, arnt 10ps nickle? Im sure there is either a US demoniation that is, you could ask around for a 10p, get one exchanged, or get someone british to send you one.

magnesium is stil quite reactive, if you want propper conc h2so4, i still suggest recharging it.

The USA 5-cent piece contains nickel, but not all to much of it. Only about 22% I believe. If you want some pure Nickel, get ahold of some Canadian Half-Dollars or Quarters dated prior to the year 2000. I believe those are made out of pure nickel metal.

i still suggest recharging it.

I already have the acid

This coin stuff is a great idea our silver coins are 25% nickel 75% copper. Since nickel has a higher reduction potential wont that react first leaving the copper? This nickel dosen't have to be to pure but i dont want 75% copper impurities...

~Scott