Measuring the movement of soil particle under vertical load

Aske Mikkelsen

I dont know if this topic is placed in the rigth category, but if not please redirect it :)

I am student in geotechinal engineering at Aarhus University and I am doing an experiment where I apply vertical load to a slope in granular soil.

The experiment is made in a 1.6m x 1.6m concrete box and I am interested in measuring the movement of the soil particles during excecution of the experiment.

I was thinking about tagging some of the particles and then tracking them with some kind of tracking device (radio active e.g), but I have no idea if that is possible.

A more simple way is much appreciated too, such as painting some of the particles and measure the placement of the particles before and after, but I dont know if that is too much work for too imprecise results.

Regards,

Aske Mikkelsen

I am student in geotechinal engineering at Aarhus University and I am doing an experiment where I apply vertical load to a slope in granular soil

That sound clever even for cohesive soil.

So I assume you have more details about confinement, Coulomb pressures etc?

Can you offer a sketch?

This must be real world experiment or can be 3D simulation.. ?

Plenty of 3D applications have physical particle simulation systems built-in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Drl97e8vP4

There are calculated collisions between particles each other, and normal objects in scene (collision objects, the one that you specify).

Edited by Sensei