paint removal

MulderMan

Actually, for automotive enamals (and most enamels used for metallic surfaces), the best solvent is probably dichloromethane (aka methylene chloride). It's cheap in the US (about $10/gallon) and very effective. You can get it at just about any auto-parts store.

However beware. If the clothing has synthetic fibers, DCM will happily dissolve those as well. Acetone should also work fairly well, and wouldn;t be nearly as fast as DCM.

Use in a well ventilated area. Not too healthy to breath it, and it evaps pretty quickly at ambient T and P. (I assume you don't plan to do this in a vacuum or hyperbaric chamber :) )

Pyridine ? That's one expensive solvent, plus, it is a scheduled precursor. Listed on the DEA schedule 1 precursors list (not the same as the controlled substances list).

Of course, you could make your own pyridine if you're so inclined.

it might be hard to find that though.

Start out simple, did you try rubbing alcohol, gasoline, white gas.

If you want to get super complicated and Mind me for saying this, im just throughing it in here for discussion, Liquid propane.

• 6 months later...
yes' date=' dimethyl sulfoxide is a sulfur compound:

SO(CH3)2[/quote']

DMSO is completely odourless. I have some of this and it is a colorless, somewhat oily and odourless liquid. When it is reduced, then it becomes very smelly:

(CH3)2SO + 2e ---> (CH3)2S + "O(2-)"

The dimethyl sulfide has a very strong smell of garlic. If you ingest some DMSO (some people do that, I don't :D although it is supposed to be quite good for your health to take small doses of DMSO), then you get a garlic smell.