LaTex v2

blike

Any bugs: please let me know and I'll try and fix them asap. You can now write matrices properly without & appearing all over the place :D

[math]\left(\begin{array}{cc}

a & b\\

c & d

\end{array}\right)[/math]

Just a couple of revisions now, and a bit of a changelog:

v2.1:

- New feature: LaTeX images are only displayed when you're logged in. This is to stop spiders/crawlers from re-generating the LaTeX images unintentionally, otherwise our cache gets filled up rather quickly.

- New feature: Implemented mhchem package to make typesetting chemistry easier. Example: [math]\ce{H2O ->[\text{process}] N2O}[/math]

- Fixed silly alt/javascript bug with multi-line latex.

- Fixed various errors with vB.

- Downsized the images a bit to fit better with inline text.

v2.0

- Complete re-write of the backend module.

- Re-wrote latexrender to include MySQL support for better image caching.

- Fixed array problem (at last).

I tried [latex]\phi[/latex]' date=' which worked on another site, but not here.

Please advise. Thanks.[/quote']The tag here is [ math] and [ /math], without the spaces before the m, of course.

For example, your statement would display as:

[math]\phi[/math]

Also note, you can click on any [math]\LaTeX[/math] graphic on the forum, and a window will pop-up and display the associated code that produced that graphic, tags and all.

Just a warning for you people: if you use the wysiwyg editor to edit posts that you've made using [math] tags, then you'll run into problems when you hit the submit button because of the way the wysiwyg editor interprets images.

In short: don't use the wysiwyg editor for LaTeX unless you need it badly. It breaks things :)

• 4 weeks later...
Just a warning for you people: if you use the wysiwyg editor to edit posts that you've made using [math] tags' date=' then you'll run into problems when you hit the submit button because of the way the wysiwyg editor interprets images.

In short: don't use the wysiwyg editor for LaTeX unless you need it badly. It breaks things :)[/quote']

Can you explain this more?

What is the wysiwyg editor?

I missed this a couple of days ago.

Basically, there's a bug in the code atm. When your post gets converted back into html for the wysiwyg editor, it also converts the generated latex image into html instead of just displaying it as [math] [ /math] like it normally would. It's fixed in the latest version; I'll get it uploaded soon, although we're undergoing some changes atm, so it may be a few days yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping that we should be able to move servers within the next 2-3 days, and with it a new and improved version of the LaTeX system (I've enabled things like commutative diagrams and better chemistry support). It is coming, but it's a lot of effort to get everything set up :) I apologise for the delay.

Now that the server change is complete, LaTeX should be back up (as is evident from the graphics above). Unfortunately there's a couple of speed issues; you just need to be a bit patient when waiting for a thread to load that has a significant amount of LaTeX. I will get this sorted out soon, promise :)

We also have some new changes:

v2.5

- Fixed the issue with the WYSIWYG editor. It should work fine now.

- I've introduced 3 new tags:

math: Renders normal LaTeX, for instance: [math]\int_a^b x^2 \, dx[/math]

imath: Renders inline math: for instance [imath]\int_a^b x^2 \, dx[/imath]. Useful for inline text, obviously.

ce: Renders chemistry equations. [ce]H2O ->T[above] CO2[/ce]

diag: Renders commutative diagrams, using diagxy. For example:

[diag]\cube|arlb|/ >->` >->`>`>/<1000,1000>[A`B`C`D;f`g`h`k]%

(400,400)|arlb|/>`>`>`>/<900,900>[A^{\prime}`B^{\prime}`C^{\prime}`D^{\prime};f^{\prime}`g^{\prime}`h^{\prime}`k^{\prime}]%

|rrrr|/<-`<-`<-`<-/[\alpha`\beta`\gamma`\delta][/diag]

- Fixed the pop-up window to look nicer.

Hope you enjoy the changes :)

Yes, I'll sort that out at some point. I won't be able to do it for the next couple of weeks due to exams. I'll post the manual for the diagxy package on here today or tomorrow, but it seems that it's not available online in PDF format (I'll have to generate it :))

I've added a couple of useful shortcut commands for common letters in the math blackboard font.

For example, [math]\R[/math] can be written by using \R instead of \mathbb{R}, and similarly for [math]\Q[/math], [math]\C[/math] and [math]\N[/math]. Hope this makes typing them easier - it's a bit easier now at least. For example:

[math]f:\R^3\to\R[/math]

Enjoy :)