SYNTHESIZING NaNO3

H2SO4

Does anyone know a way i could synthesize some sodium nitrate. I plan to make some nitric acid by reacting sulfuric acid with sodium nitrate and i dont have sodium nitrate. I have tons of reagents. Maybe some reaction with KNO3 or other nitrates? I dont know, but thanks for your responses.

omg YT2095 your ingenous. I just saw this in a book thats 101 years old (a laboratory chemistry) and saw sodium nitrate as the reactant. Potassium forms compounds with the almost identicle propertys(for example KCl is an salt substitue), i dont see why it wont work. Ill try it and post the results when i get my appuratuses all set up.

no crap- use Kno3. Also if u do it outside ( which i was planning to do soon) or even better in a fume hood, ull minimized respiratory damage. Oh, an just stay away from it a bit. U can add 2 parts KNO3 to 2 parts H2SO4 and heating (in a florence / boiling flask). Then direct the vapors and condense them.

H2SO4,

I suppose that what I do not understand is why you don't just purchase it outright ? I just looked it up, 10 lbs of it costs $35US. What seems to be difficult to obtain anymore is the catalyst, which really gives it that extra-punch.

Given your inclination towards these types products, I suggest that you pick up a copy of Davis's book "Chemistry of powder and Explosives" as a reference guide. For manufacture of ammonium nitrate specifically, see Federoff's "Encyclopedia of Explosives and Related Products" (1960) Vol 1, pp 311-380.

Of course, Vogel's POC wouldn't be a bad idea either to have on your bookshelf, just for the practical info on just about every process you can imagine.

There should also be some methods of extracting it from ammonia fertilizer. Given the solubility data which I just looked up, this shouldn't be all that difficult.

Also, you can get a very good grade of HNO3 for $32.95US per liter. I think though the UPS Hazmat fee is about $40 US. If you want to make it, see "Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry" Vol 2J, C Bailar, pp 375-388 (1975)