I am a 16 year old boy that love physics..

eee457

So as the tittle says i am a 16 year old student from Greece,i love physics as much as i love maths ..Most of my relatives are doctors,surgeons,dentists etc and they urge me in a way of becoming a doctor aswell but i really like physics and here comes the question , should i follow what i love and create my own path or follow their advice and do something that isnt my first option but will bring me a good income instead?

In this point i want to say that here in Greece physics is dead since we lack of industry or research section and i ll have to move abroad to find a job.

I would also like to mention that i am doing good in all science subjects .

... should i follow what i love and create my own path or follow their advice and do something that isnt my first option but will bring me a good income instead?

Only you can answer that.

Also, were you thinking of a research career or working in industry? May people with physics degrees end up in engineering, computing, business and finance etc.

In this point i want to say that here in Greece physics is dead since we lack of industry or research section and i ll have to move abroad to find a job.

Sending some time outside your home country is a good thing and quite normal in research.

Right now concentrate on doing well in school, but think on about your dilemma.

No one can answer that question for you. I'd say that if you enjoy interacting with people, then being and medical doctor would probably be a good job for you. Although, there are some specialties, pathology and radiology, for example, that require a doctor who does not interact with people.

Some kinds of research would require someone with knowledge of both biology and physics, e.g., nanotechnology. At my university were a couple of MD--PhD Electrical Engineers, who specialized in developing medical electronics. (Electronics is all physics). If you want to bad enough, you may be able to satisfy both your parents and yourself.

Jobs! I don't know how to answer this question. My guess is that a doctor is more likely to find work than a physicist.

Since IBM's Watson won playing Jeopardy, some people think many skilled jobs may some day be replaced by computer programs. We would like to know how fast this transition will occur and what are the consequences. Will this scenario affect you and your job? No one knows, and there are other unknowns, such as Climate Change and World Politics. Thus, I don't know how to answer your jobs question.

Wikipedia

In February 2013, IBM announced that Watson software system's first commercial application would be for utilization management decisions in lung cancer treatment at Memorial Sloan–Kettering Cancer Center in conjunction with health insurance company WellPoint. IBM Watson's business chief Manoj Saxena says that 90% of nurses in the field who use Watson now follow its guidance.

So as the tittle says i am a 16 year old student from Greece,i love physics as much as i love maths ..Most of my relatives are doctors,surgeons,dentists etc and they urge me in a way of becoming a doctor aswell but i really like physics and here comes the question , should i follow what i love and create my own path or follow their advice and do something that isnt my first option but will bring me a good income instead?

Kalimera.

i am a senior from Greece, my daughter is studying medecine ...abroad.

You have to look at all parameters.

1. the actual educational system in Greece sucks. You may not go to study what you want, but what you are allowed to do on the basis of your score at final exams (panellinies), if panellinies still exist in 2 years from now.

2. That means that if you really want to go for medecine (in Athens i presume) you must be damn damn good, you need to become one of the best -not of your class, not of your school - but of entire Greece. unless your dad has other ways to push you towards Athens.

3. otherwise you can do medecine in some other town (if you get the score for medecine), which means in most cases that you will have to go abroad afterwards in order to get a better diploma.

4. anyway, even if you get to Athens, you may need to go abroad to get a better recognised diploma.

5. You can also go abroad anyways, when you won't get the score from panellinies. That means at 17 or 18, going living, somtimes alone, in a foreign country, and struggling to adapt to much better educational systems. That is an enriching but hard experience.

6. The score for physics is lower than medecine, but still high. You may have the same issues than with medecine, with the difference of no support from your family.

7. From my knowledge & experience, parents that are in the medical field always push heavily their children to follow the same field. I can make the safe prediction that it will be difficult for you to escape. You'll have to gather VERY strong arguments, the "I love physics" argument will not be accepted. Not alone.

8. At the end of all this, I mean 9 or more yeras of VERY DIFFICULT studies for medecine, or 5 or 6 years for physics (+ doctorate abroad most probably), you will get ready to ask for a job. If it is in Greece, you will begin with about 700E to 1000E at best, if the situation doesn;t get worse. of course, you'll never know what will happen in 10 years from now. Abroad, things are better.

9. IOW , the situation being what it is in Greece, there are about 90% of chance that if you want to enter high studies, you will end abroad. It is a matter of consequences and a major problem for Greece, now aand for the years to come.

10. Don't listen to anything, do what you want to do.

Edited by michel123456

• 6 months later...

I thought people studying physics made good money? Perhaps if that does work out you can also go into a related field. However that depends on what type of physics you are trying to get into? However Medical doctors are needed everywhere all the time, especially right now in the states. They are really pushing for medical but I dont think either field is a bad choice. I think you should do what makes you happy. I dont think you will do good in Medical school if you dont have enough dedication to it.

Edited by ThinkingMind

I thought people studying physics made good money?

It depends on what these people do exactly and what you compare it with. However, I would say that most people with good science degrees will earn more than the national average (for what every country you are asking about), but still earn a lot less than those in banking, business, finance, medicine and so on.

@eee457

If you choose a career you are not especially interested in because it pays well then you will likely be second rate at it - since you lack interest - will therefore be paid at the lower end of the scale for that work and will be unhappy in your work.

If you choose a career that fascinates you then you will likely be very good at it, which will place you in the upper wage range for that career. Even if that is not a great deal of money you will find reward and satisfaction in the work itself.

Warning - before you decide, speak to some practicing physicists. Find out what they actually do. It may be quite different from what you think they do.

• 3 weeks later...

This will simply come down to if you love it or not. You will only be able to make the decision when the time comes. Anything before that is pure speculation. Learn it as long as you can and choose when you must choose. Don't overthink things like this. It doesn't help. You will go back and forth about this a thousand times, and all that will do is hinder your studies and give you unneeded angst. The simple truth is your life is your own. Not your parent's, your governments, or your potential future kids, just as THEIR life will be their own....

When it comes to who to date, parents CAN (not always) know best. When it comes to what to do with your life NO ONE AT ALL has any clue but you. Happiness is an ENTIRELY personal pursuit.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for replying guys you are awesome,is it easy for someone to find a job if studied physics though ?

No jobs are easy, depends on your skill, country, and your disciplines in physics, etc,.. choose job that you like, computing, engineer, scientist, whatever. money is second priority, comfort first.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

10. Don't listen to anything, do what you want to do.

Go for your calling.

I would find it a pity, that you did not follow what makes you happy, with such a love & dedication.

But be prepared for a very difficult way, to overcome poverty (& master). Choose the most harmonious way.

Right now doctors are (over) demanded, but as technology develops, physicists will be needed, to solve future problems.

Doctors will need physicists. Perhaps think of a joint major biology & physics. Your plans will change in the future, nothing is static, everything changes, we must adapt. Interests change. We become more choosey, & we cannot plan our whole life, only part of it.

Something new always comes along. Later you will be more mature, to get a better scope, for the next direction. Decide to enjoy, & learn a lot. There is so much to choose from. The world & beyond will be available to you, not just greece. Nitches have to be found (=discovered), that special place where you fit in exactly, or to the best possible.

Maybe you can start in physics, full gas, the 1st year, & migrate to medicine 2nd or 3rd later years, but those are lost years financially, but for a love, worth it. It seems more & more surgeons are operating on distant patients thru telecomunication lines. Good solid technical knowledge is needed, for the future challenges & difficulties. You would have the advantage (that can mean more money when you can do what others can't, you will be in demand. It depends how you sell yourself & if you want?) Take care. Try to please all (don't forget the love for your fellow man, they will help you, some at least), but most yourself. Remember in the end, you are responsible for what you do & decide. In the end you (alone) must deal with (all) the difficulties that await you, including caring for your family & their difficulties (that come). It would be nice to find the perfect package, the best selection, mix that works best with the most advatages, & least disadvantages. Concentrate on your strengthes, to support your weaknesses. Not everyone is capable of all things. Each person has at least 1 talent. That is a natural thing. Some say god given. Use it!

(We are here to help each other, because we cannot live alone, completely on our own, without that. We need others help. E.g. Everything that is produced for us, to buy &/or for free.)

Edited by Capiert