Easy COOl experiments

akcapr

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it definately wasn`t ammonium chloride (I don`t have much left of that anyway), I DO KNOW that I used a metal as an intermediary though (probably copper).

I can`t be certain though :(((

I DO rem being quite surprised to get the NO2 as a resultant gas product (I should have kept my notes).

If you bubble it through water you get sulfurous acid. If you bubble it through H2O2 you get sulfuric acid. The H2O2 is donating its extra oxygen to the reaction to get H2SO4. Im sure there is allittle sulfuruos acid because there is also water in the solution.

just actaully thought about that now again and i dont know why i questioned it, its just in school i was tought that bubbling sulphur dioxide gas through water makes sulphuric acid... amazing how teachers can make extra oxygen atoms appear to suit them....

could it have been a copperamine complex?

very likely yeah, I can`t even rem what it was I was trying to acheive at the time (that would lead me to take the same steps again).

not to worry, I`m sure it`ll come back to me when I`m least able to do something about it :)

"very likely yeah, I can`t even rem what it was I was trying to acheive at the time (that would lead me to take the same steps again).

not to worry, I`m sure it`ll come back to me when I`m least able to do something about it :)"

score :D

"inorganic"

not the artistic type are you? :D

you could try some Simple organic chemistry though, for instance make your own Soap, or try to make some plastic, have a go at making your own "Litmus" type indicator paper, all of these are reasonably safe and quite interesting too :)

i love esters.

seriously, i'm tempted to make a bunch of alcohols and carboxylic acids just so i can esterfy things.

oh, btw, i was wondering. so if i take, say, glycerol, and esterfy it with a mixture of 3 carboxylic acids (at equal concentrations), i take it my product would have the X,Y,Z ester of glycerol (where X, Y and Z represent the acids) right?

not neccesarily. If one of those acids wants to form the ester more than the others, you'll have glycerol which is predominately made from glycerol and the dominant acid. Another problem with esters is that your body becomes sensitized to the esters. At first, the smell might be nice and not bother you, but the more you're exposed to it the higher the likelyhood that those same 'nice' smells will start to give you headaches and other adverse reactions. I've become sensitized to ethyl acetate and I can now no longer go near nail polish remover or the ester itself as it gives me vicious headaches.

One more thing to worry about with esters. I forget the exact name of it, but there is an easy to make ester that is actually an attraction pheromone for honey bees. You don't want to make a lot of that and spill it on yourself during the summer, otherwise plenty of bees will want to erm...... 'make love to you'. heh.

"not neccesarily. If one of those acids wants to form the ester more than the others, you'll have glycerol which is predominately made from glycerol and the dominant acid"

no i mean if you have enough glycerol to react with all the acids

"At first, the smell might be nice and not bother you, but the more you're exposed to it the higher the likelyhood that those same 'nice' smells will start to give you headaches and other adverse reactions."

my first esterfication reaction went really well; i produced methyl ethanoate, which i still have bottled in my room. at first i was so proud (this was before i made my home lab) that i just basked in the glory of my product and inhaled the odor. headaches ensued

"try and synthesise some ATP and then drop it on some muscle fibers.

I dont know how to, but if your body can, you can!"

not really:\

chemists tend to lack specific enzymes

adenosine triphosphate is, for all intents and purposes, impossible for the common lab chemist to produce

"but there is an easy to make ester that is actually an attraction pheromone for honey bees"

it's banana oil, or isopentyl acetate. last i checked it enraged bees and made them attack you continuously.

another word on esters: sarin just happens to be the methyl ethyl ester of methylphosphorofluoridic acid