Clocks at different speeds?

Clara

When I was listening to two clocks ticking, I noticed that it would sound like one clock would tick, then the other one would tick about half a second later. A while later, it sounded like both clocks were ticking at the same time. After a while, it sounded like there was a half second difference again. However, the clocks both maintain the correct time. How can it sound like the clocks are moving at different speeds, and still maintain the correct time? Let me know what you think.

~Clara

lol I thought this was relativity.

Well, for one, clocks can have different timing methods. They may have been designed to "tick" at differnent rates intentionally. They would still keep accurate time.

For another, how do you know they're keeping accurate time? In my experience most clocks have to be reset often. Well, maybe once a week, check them after an hour or so and you wouldn't notice that they're off.

When I was listening to two clocks ticking' date=' I noticed that it would sound like one clock would tick, then the other one would tick about half a second later. A while later, it sounded like both clocks were ticking at the same time. After a while, it sounded like there was a half second difference again. However, the clocks both maintain the correct time. How can it sound like the clocks are moving at different speeds, and still maintain the correct time? Let me know what you think.

[center']~Clara[/center]

They aren't ticking at quite the same rate. It's possible that the ticking sound is completely decoupled from the actual timekeeping mechanism (which is likely a quartz crystal). I have a clock like that at home - the pendulum is driven by a motor, and is not conncted to the timing mechanism at all. Plus, you have the possibility that the clocks are periodically synchronized to some other source, like the NIST WWV radio clocks, so they could be timing differently and just get reset before you notice much difference. (it's actually impossible for two clocks to remain synchronous without "talking" to each other)

When two frequencies are present, they are going to move in and out of resonance (how quickly depends on how close they are in frequency). That's what is happening with the ticking.

I always thought a clock ticked every second, and the ticking noise was the second hand moving. Both of the clocks I was listening to ran on batteries. After about a minute, I noticed that the clocks were not ticking after the same time. One minute, they would both be ticking at the exact same time. A minute later, there would be a half of a second between the ticks of each clock. As often as they change, I'm surprised the clocks don't have to be reset more often. I guess it would explain everything if the ticking sound is made by a different gear in one clock than the other.

They don't have to tick every second as long as the gearimg (or electronic equivalent) compensates. Some large pendulum clocks use a two-second swing, for example. And, as I implied earlier, the ticking may be artificial anyway.