12 degrees = half planet abandoned?

Eclipse

The implication of this graph I made years back is over most peoples heads. It surprises most people methane is so low, because the alarmists keep saying it is a stronger greenhouse gas.

Methane has mass ~[math]16\frac{g}{mol}[/math], so density ~[math]0.716\frac{g}{L}[/math]

while CO2 and N2O have ~[math]44\frac{g}{mol}[/math] and density ~[math]1.977\frac{g}{L}[/math]

Methane will simply reach much higher altitude in atmosphere, because of its lightness.

CO2 is "eaten" by vegetables, and with time its concentration is decreasing when vegetables are growing. While methane will still be in upper atmosphere.

Edited by Sensei

In previous times when the planet was often much hotter than 5 degrees warmer than now there was not a sudden massive shift to such a temperature.

- - -

The point is that there have been warmer periods in Earths history without the massive heating of +12 degrees leaving lots of the world uninhabitable.

The rate of change was not as high as with the current AGW.

A "methane bomb", for example, requires a rapid temperature runup - much faster than the natural warmings of the past. Methane released more gradually from slower warmings degrades as it enters the atmosphere, rather than building up to "bomb" levels.

Studying the net result of slower warmings or allegedly higher temperatures attained in the geological past does not adequately prepare us for the effects of the far more rapid warming we are setting in motion now.

Methane has mass ~[math]16\frac{g}{mol}[/math], so density ~[math]0.716\frac{g}{L}[/math]

while CO2 and N2O have ~[math]44\frac{g}{mol}[/math] and density ~[math]1.977\frac{g}{L}[/math]

Methane will simply reach much higher altitude in atmosphere, because of its lightness.

CO2 is "eaten" by vegetables, and with time its concentration is decreasing when vegetables are growing. While methane will still be in upper atmosphere.

Wow.

I didn't know that methane goes higher. Can you link that knowledge for me?

I guess spectralcalc must be in error, maybe you should tell them:

CO2-CH4altitude_zpsb5ab8b6d.png

Actually, the slope I used is the RE (radiative efficiency) spoke of. Then they multiply CH4 by approximately 44/16 because GWP (global warming potential) is based on adding the same small mass as CO2. Then the time it lives vs. CO2 is used, and that's how they get this large numbers to claim CH4 is so much more potent. If you look at a doubling of each, CO2 is so much greater.

• 5 months later...