Link between two PCs via 56k modems.

Edward

Can this be done? Just connect the two PCs via their modems? What could be done with this connection eg file transfer. Also if one of the PCs had a broadband connection via a 10/100 card could the other computer access the net? I lknow this wont work without special software on at least one of the PCs. Also is it possible for to PCs to communicate thru serial ports?

Can you just buy a splitter for your wall outlet, and buy another cord for your laptop?

What do u mean?

I have a ether net cable ruinning into my room, it is connected to my PC I want to rin a 56k cable from my PC to my laptop so I can have internet on the laptop and transfer files to and from the laptop and PC.

Laplink would allow you to transfer files via the serial or parallel port, it may also allow Internet access but I've never had a need for that so can't confirm.

As for peer to peer networking with modems, I'm not sure if or how it would work. My gut feeling is that it's not going to happen as you have no means of dialing into the one machine from the other (no exchange to recognise the number dialled). If you could get it working it would be something of a hack and you'd likely get a very slow connection speed.

It's far better to get a PCMCIA LAN card for the laptop and a NIC for the PC (both inexspensive these days) and connect them using a crossover cable.

It's far better to get a PCMCIA LAN card for the laptop and a NIC for the PC (both inexspensive these days) and connect them using a crossover cable.

exactly.

dont do it with telephone cable and modems' date=' i've tried it before - without much success, i think you would need to get some sort of pogram 'cause windows doesn't have anything to aid you in that - i think... one pc has to accept-answer the calls while the other has to dial your first pc. the only reason i see for this connection would be pure curiosity and experimentation but belive me you won't have much use from it.

I have a ether net cable ruinning into my room, it is connected to my PC I want to rin a 56k cable from my PC to my laptop so I can have internet on the laptop and transfer files to and from the laptop and PC.

what? you already have 1 ethernet cable running into your room? where is this cable coming from? if it's coming from a hub/switch then just get another patch cable and connect your laptop to the hub too. if it's coming from another pc then you already have a crossover connection - and in this case - just borrow that ethernet cable thats coming into your room and use it for laptop-pc crossover connection. (first buy pcmcia lan card for your laptop, get one from ebay.com)

for the broadband thing you need to put the connection on shared to be able to use that computer's broadband connection. for example if you have a machine running windows xp just run network setup wizard and in one of the questions it will ask you whether you want to allow other users on the network to use your internet connection (this computer will then become internet gateway for all the other computers on the network, its just that you have to run the same wizard on your xp cd on all other computers). with windows 98se its a bit more of a complicated process.

in summary i recommend you to buy pcmcia lan card for laptop and let me know where is this other ethernet cable coming from?

and what do you use for the Dial Tone?

i'm not sure what do you mean, BUT, (if he really wanted to try modem connection) he can just disable "wait for dial tone" in the connection options.

also, i'm not familiar with the systems they use in hotels and other institutions or some home-offices etc... so i'll guess here...; for example in hotel you could (maybe) connect one laptop in room 119 to the phone line coming into that room and another laptop in room 332 and you could then just put the dialing number e.g. 119 and dial into that other computer in room 119 (provided the accepting computer is set as server and has some sort of software which accepts incoming connections (some games feature this option) ... so i presume you could setup a similar system in your home...

..actually i'd like to try this out :), i'll let you know if i succeeded next week because i dont have much time right now

well if you set the modem +ATA it`ll still need the ring pulses to trigger it even if you bypas the DTMF part (it CAN be spoofed but it`s alot of messing).

PARNET`s good and fast too!, the only problem is cable length is limited before you need to re-buffer the signal.

ethernet cards are filty cheap though (I`ve throw 100s of them away), that may be another option for you too :)

oh i see what you're aiming at, although i think that with a masterful piece of software (which probably does exist somewhere on the net) it could all be arranged in a few clicks.

ethernet cards may be another option?? they are the only good option he's got if he wants quick, efficient, cheap and easy file transfer and net sharing, unless he wants to use latest Wi-Fi which i highly doubt...

so there you go Edward, the best option for you is to get yourself ethernet cards/ lan cards (pcmcia for laptop) and a meter of cross-over cable (be careful not to go on and buy patch cable instead of crossover, it's what happened to me when i first tried to setup a network, took me 2 days to actually figure out there are 2 different cables.. lol, that was some 3 years back). you can get it all for a few bucks on ebay

i myself will stick to the modem idea tho - just from the curiosity i'll try to set it up next week.