Making a Mousetrap Car Fly.

benjbeyer

I need to make a mousetrap car for one of my classes and I want to make it fly. I'm thinking on having a foam body and two propellers (to keep it level while in flight). Any suggestions or ideas?

Keep it light! (J.C. waits patiently for the Nobel prize level idea to sink in...)

More on track...What are the rules?

Well it doesn't need to fly, but it has to go at least 15 feet. The trap we are given is a classic VICTOR mousetrap. It also needs to have wheels (I don't need to use them.). I would be happy if the propeller at least pulled the car 15 feet. I would flip-out if i could get it to fly.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but part of the problem is that you need wheels that can take you 15 feet but you also need as little weight as possible to get airborne. Balsa planes typically have those crappy hollow wheels that are good for about a foot before takeoff. When you say it has to "go" 15 feet, does it have to go via ground or will flying count?

How are you converting the trap's energy to a propeller? Are you just turning the trap sideways to power a propeller shaft? Have you tested that part?