Hungry is Not an emotion!

reverse

I think that maybe your emotions short out due to the extreme stimulus.

So tears just start coming .

Except for men of course

For men it’s because they got dirt in their eye, not because they are all soft or anything.

how about,

BRAVERY.

Fear suppressed by reason driven by conditioning?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or BRAVERY.

Fear replaced by anger due to perceived power advantage and the prospect of a favourable combat outcome.

Or Fear replaced by calm due to a perceived insight as to the technical trickery of the obstacle and a belief that this will ensure a high probability of a survivable outcome.

Or failure to appreciate the severity of the danger and the true probability of a fatal outcome.

Monogamy

HISTORY:

Before democracy there were Kings.

Monogamy from a kings wife at lest was absolutely essential.

In those times of superstition' date=' a kings right to rule was from the gods.

And passed on to a true son.

Can you imagine the disaster of a false son coming to power.

The kingdom would be under the guidance of a mere mortal.

NATURE:

A male cat will sneak off and kill the young of another cat.

Female cats must be constantly vigilant for their kittens.

SOCIETY;

A kiss on the hand may be quite continental, but contracts are a girls best friend.

When women were possessions and had no power to vote or earn money,

how were they to be cared for once the charms of youth had gone.

A binding social contract of course.[/quote']

the history thing doesn't apply very easily to modern society, but superstition of monogamy definitely still exists.

the nature and society things apply very well. definitely reasons why monogamy is good in modern society.

Can we really have mixed emotions or do we really only have sequential emotions in a fast feed with some residual chemical blurring?
ooo, good question. although residual chemical burning could be considered "mixed", as emotions are more the result than the body functions used to achieve it.

let's look at surprise.

surprise party: initially, fear + surprise, wich quickly changes to happy + surprise.

but what about less noticable surprises, such as if your favorite band was going to play at your next school rally, or you favorite author is going to sign books near where you work. those are surprise + happy, and no fear is involved.

hmm, surprise doesn't seem to acually mix with anything other than fear or hapiness, and it almost needs one of those to actually be seen as surprise.

do you think that "fear + surprise" is mostly due to the fact that we are constantly predicting how we expect the world around us to be, and we are surprised when it momentarily disorients us by presenting up the un expected.

must be a bugger for babies, I mean they have no idea what to expect from one moment to the next.

eg baby sees water.

"hey look at that stuff, hey you can see through it, hey when i get this pink thing sticking out of my sleeve, and no wait the other direction...and hit the glass , hey would you look at that it falls down, say that reminds me the spoon fell down also when i git all those pink things poking out of my sleeve to unravel ,,, now how did I do that again wait a second. I’m tired I think I'll make that loud noise yes that works.

Or BRAVERY.

Fear replaced by anger due to perceived power advantage and the prospect of a favourable combat outcome.

I think the driving emotion there would be anger.

Or Fear replaced by calm due to a perceived insight as to the technical trickery of the obstacle and a belief that this will ensure a high probability of a survivable outcome.

And here' date=' fear is removed through removal of the perceived threat.

Or failure to appreciate the severity of the danger and the true probability of a fatal outcome.

And this is stupidity (failure to see the threat in the first place).

I think courage is not the absence of fear in a threat situation (that's stupidity). It the ability to control fear and not let it become the driving emotion. So courage in itself is not an emotion, it is more the ability to control one.

Well my starting premise for this was “you get medals for bravery so, it must be acting against strong fear to be worthy of reward”.

I’m going to chew over what you have observed further.

+++++++++++++++++

Out of consideration to the kind people who run this site I’m going to stop gathering information from you all .

What has been provided so far is excellent thanks.

I now need to try some three dimensional configurations for the model.

And watch some live primates and anthropology films and babies.

When I can construct a model that tests well against complex emotions,

I will throw it open for your retesting and contesting.

In summation, for those of you who are curious.

We seem to start from a few basic emotions.

They have associated clear facial expressions.

With time we learn to re-direct , suppress and intermix these with our own reason and social conditioning.

Some or this “re mixing” occurs at a subconscious level, so it is not apparent to the reasoning mind.

Many thanks again.

I see sadness as an emotional state and depression as a condition or illness. Many people who are depressed don't like to see their condition characterized as mental illness because of the stigma attached, but it is.

To me grief is a process which has been described many times as having certain emotional attitudes that follow a usual course. Getting stuck in grief is depression.

Depression is the normal reaction to really depressing events. This is acute, adaptive and is known as reactive depression. Clinical depression, on the other hand, occurs without any obvious triggering events, and is chronic. Whether the depression is reactive or clinical, it is always an emotional state. It's the underlying cause that differs.

Depression is the normal reaction to really depressing events. This is acute, adaptive and is known as reactive depression. Clinical depression, on the other hand, occurs without any obvious triggering events, and is chronic. Whether the depression is reactive or clinical, it is always an emotional state. It's the underlying cause that differs.

I suspect you are one of our resident experts on these matters. You may even be practicing medicine for all I know, but I am uneasy with the idea that there are no triggering events for clinical depression. How often, for instance, does what later becomes clinical depression start out as reactive depression? How far away in time must an event be in order to not figure as a trigger?

Just a pop in to see if anything interesting has emerged.

Not sure about this.

two observations.

Some people are naturally miserable , while some are naturally sunny in outlook.

Viva la difference makes for a more interesting world.

I like to think that depression is connected to loss.

loss of a loved one.

loss of the potential future that one had dreamed off.

It's similar to knocking out a really important pillar in a building.

Your total view of the world and your expectations and your place in it may crumble in a instant.

Where to start rebuilding that mess?

I do agree with glider (not that my agreement counts for much if you are a trained professional) depression can become a bog or mire, once you are in a severe state like that (for a long duration), it may trap your state of mind there.

Coral I agree with you about cause and effect.

The effect of phobias, for example: fear of water, seem to show me that emotional states can be bought about by events buried deeply below the layers accessible to the conscious mind.

there may actually be a reason for the depression, but it may be complicated and not evident to the sufferer.

then again the brain is just a part of the body and therefore subject to chemical and electrical interaction...and therefore may get to a physical state where it locks itself in a feedback loop and cant get out.

Sometimes a drug is prescribed to reduce the awareness of the depressed state to the mind.

Thus giving the mind a chance to be at peace and build some pleasant moments to walk onward from.

Addiction is a problem.

Why do all the work of using your conscious strength to resolve your state of depression when a pill will do it for you.

well breakfast time on this side of the world.

well, gotta go , I feel hungry.

I am uneasy with the idea that there are no triggering events for clinical depression. How often, for instance, does what later becomes clinical depression start out as reactive depression? How far away in time must an event be in order to not figure as a trigger?

You are right. Reactive depression can become clinical, and often clinical depression begins as reactive depression; a perfectly normal response to an event/situation, which then gets out of hand and becomes 'habit' so to speak.

What I should have said, to be precise, is that clinical depression doesn't need a triggering event, or at least not one that is obvious and immediate (e.g. the death of a loved one, getting the sack, divorce etc.).

Reverse is right, there are people who have depressive tendencies to begin with. It's a part of their psychological/neurological (depending on your bias) makeup. Even then, in many cases, it could be argued that these tendencies were gained through prior experience. These people tend to remember more negative events in their lives (even though the numbers of negative and positive events are probably the same, as with most people). They tend to catastrophise (i.e. small negative events tend to be seen as major, insurmountable problems), and they tend to have more negative predictions, e.g. good events won't necessarily lead to good outcomes, but bad events will definitely lead to bad outcomes.

In a way, it's a bit like wearing cognitive sunglasses. Normal everyday life that everybody is exposed to gets filtered through these chronically accessible cognitive structures and are interpreted as being that much darker.

However, this in itself isn't depression. People with depressive tendencies just have a lower threshold for depression i.e. are more likely to become depressed, and are more likely to become depressed when subejected to events that wouldn't lead to depression in other people. So another interpretation of 'no triggering event' is 'a comparitively innocuous event that would not normally lead to depression in the majority of people'.

As for time, "How far away in time must an event be in order to not figure as a trigger?", well, time is not really a factor. Resolution is the issue. If an event remains unresolved, then it tends to remain a potential trigger for depression, regardless of the amount of time that passes. 'Time heals' it is said, but specifically this means time provides the opportunity to gain perspective and to come to see the problem in relation to the bigger picture of their overall lives. But if a person avoids thinking about the event at all and just suppresses it, then it will tend to remain as a future risk.