broken glass

Ankit Gupta

If you would put them together perfectly, then it would again become a single mirror. However, you probably put the pieces together at slightly different angles, so they reflect in slightly different directions, and that means it looks like a collection of many small mirrors after it got put back together.

Does that answer the question (I am not 100% certain I understood the question)?

That is a very good question, which shows some good scientific observation, well done.

You are right a mirror is not lke a television or video screen wall.

You see what is called a virtual image in a mirror, because your viewing distance from the mirror is large.

This image is a reflection of light from all the objects that the mirror receives light from.

(Note this is not all the light the mirror reflects since some bounces off (reflects) at such an angle that it misses your eyes.)

The width (and height) of this is called the field of view.

A small piece of (broken) mirror or just a small mirror has nearly the same field of view as a larger one.

Incidentally I replied to an earlier question of yours, but did not hear any more. Do you not review your threads for answers?

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/79701-ripples/

Edited by studiot

Guessing:

a mirror is a piece of glass that have on its rear face a film of reflective coating.

see wiki

The glass used to make the mirror has a thickness of about 4mm of 5 mm or more.

When the glass breaks, each piece has edges of 4mm thick that reflect the light (look at the side of a glass).

If i am correct all those reflections must appear in the broken glass except for the ones exactly perpendicular to the line of sight.

Going to break a mirror from my mother in law to test my theory...

Edited by michel123456

Incidentally I replied to an earlier question of yours, but did not hear any more. Do you not review your threads for answers? i do look for answers but there were not any new review and i didnt had any interesting question so i was offline for many days

Edited by Ankit Gupta

Incidentally I replied to an earlier question of yours, but did not hear any more. Do you not review your threads for answers? i do look for answers but there were not any new review and i didnt had any interesting question so i was offline for many days

There are two answers to you question on ripples. Mine was posted within 11 minutes of your original post.

I do not see a response.

I do not see any response to the several members who have taken the trouble to answer your question about mirrors either.