Cremation

Newtonian

Ive recently heard that people are cremated in batches.I had believed that people were burnt individually,it now seems that when the furnace is cooled.The remaing ashes are gathered and urns filled with what could be up to six peoples remains.Seems chances of taking your grandad home now is not so good. :-(

Why get cremated anyway? It's so...boring.

I plan to have my body dumped into the Grumeti river in Tanzania. Sure, cremation takes care of your earthly remains pretty fast, but so do dozens of 18-foot, 2000 lb crocodiles.

Mokele

Ive recently heard that people are cremated in batches.I had believed that people were burnt individually,it now seems that when the furnace is cooled.The remaing ashes are gathered and urns filled with what could be up to six peoples remains.Seems chances of taking your grandad home now is not so good. :-(

Doesn't surprise me. Businesses are always cutting corners to save time/money.

I was interested in finding out whether this was true, since I also belong to a forum for the "involuntarily unspoused", many of whom had there loved one cremated. What I learned was that crematories that service private individuals are only large enough to hold one body at the time.

The only place where I found a reference to multiple cremation was here:

http://www.louisville.edu/medschool/anatomy/1-bequeathal/bequeathal.html

at a medical school where multiple cadavers may be cremated and buried in the university cemetery.

I spent some time working at as an undertaker some years ago, I have seen many crematoria, in and around London. I have never seen an oven capable of holding more than one individual. I have seen crematoria with banks of ovens, but each could hold only one coffin.

My post wasnt meant to cause alarm,i got the information by WoM.Having spent some time searching,i can now say Glider is correct.Only one individual is cremated,along with the coffin.

The only things that are removed,are metal objects ie:coffin handles,pins from operations etc.

Crematoriums have strict guidlines and are regulated.They even have to allow public access(obviously when not operating) the actual ovens are very clean.

So the remains you recieve are your loved ones.