Special And General Relativity Time Dialation

Endercreeper01

You do not need to "combine both GR and SR effects", GR gives the COMPLETE prediction , all by itself. It falls out straight from the Schwarzschild solution.

Edited by xyzt

You do not need to "combine both GR and SR effects", GR gives the COMPLETE prediction , all by itself. It falls out straight from the Schwarzschild solution.

General relativity time dialaion is t(1-Rs/r)^(-1/2) and special relativity time dilation is t(1-v^2/c^2)^0.5

General relativity time dialaion is t(1-Rs/r)^(-1/2) and special relativity time dilation is t(1-v^2/c^2)^0.5

First off, it is called "dilation", not "dialation". Second off, GR gives you all the components, including the effects due to both linear and rotational motion. Third off, both your t(1-Rs/r)^(-1/2) and t(1-v^2/c^2)^0.5 formulas are incorrect. If you do not understand the subject, just ask and I will explain.

Edited by xyzt

First off, it is called "dilation", not "dialation". Second off, GR gives you all the components, including the effects due to both linear and rotational motion. Third off, both your t(1-Rs/r)^(-1/2) and t(1-v^2/c^2)^0.5 formulas are incorrect. If you do not understand the subject, just ask and I will explain.

First, i meant ^(1/2), second, I meant t as proper time. Rs is 2Gm/rc2

Sources:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/TimeDilation.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/gratim.html#c4

And also if t=t'/(1-Rs/r)^0.5, where t' is the relative time, then t'=t(1-Rs/r)^0.5.

The gravitational term is GM/rc2 and the kinetic term is v2/2c2 (using and expansion ignoring higher orders of c)

Actually, it is 2Gm/rc2 and v2/c2

Edited by Endercreeper01

Then why is it that in the equations for time dilation, we use v2/c2 instead of v2/2c2

There is also a square root involved in the original equation. The factor of 2 comes from the binomial expansion, which is explained in your second link.

First, i meant ^(1/2), second, I meant t as proper time. Rs is 2Gm/rc2

Sources:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/TimeDilation.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/gratim.html#c4

And also if t=t'/(1-Rs/r)^0.5, where t' is the relative time, then t'=t(1-Rs/r)^0.5.

Actually, it is 2Gm/rc2 and v2/c2

Obviously you are more interested in persisting in your errors than learning the answer.

Obviously you are more interested in persisting in your errors than learning the answer.

I gave you the sources that I got m equation from, so therefore general relativity time dilation does not include both.

Show me an equation and a source for a general relativity equation that includes both.

Edited by Endercreeper01

I gave you the sources that I got m equation from, so therefore general relativity time dilation does not include both.

Show me an equation and a source

You quoted (incorrectly) separate sources for separate effects. You cannot combine them in order to get a correct answer. Like I said, the Schwarzschild solution produces all the effects in one equation. You can give me all the negatives you have available, you will still not have learned anything.

You quoted (incorrectly) separate sources for separate effects. You cannot combine them in order to get a correct answer. Like I said, the Schwarzschild solution produces all the effects in one equation. You can give me all the negatives you have available, you will still not have learned anything.

Show me a source that shows the swartzchild time dilation solution with both effects

!

Moderator Note

xyzt, Endercreeper01,

This petty bickering stops now. If your next post is interesting to an audience larger than you two, then feel free to post. However, if your post is interesting only to you two, and is aimed only at winning this discussion, then do not post. A continuation of this fighting by either of you will have consequences.

Remember, being wrong is not against the rules, but being uncivil is. If you have any further doubts about how to behave, be sure to read our forum rules.

Do not reply to this moderator note. If you have any problems with it, use the report function at the bottom of this post.

Let's say I hit my watch with a hammer, which causes the clock's ticking rate to increase to 1.1 times the correct rate.

Then I descend into a gravity well wearing the watch, which causes the ticking rate to halve.

Then I run around in a circle at speed 0.86 c, which causes the ticking rate of my wach to halve again.

At what rate is the watch ticking now?

Answer: 1.1 * 0.5 * 0.5 * the original rate

Let's say I hit my watch with a hammer, which causes the clock's ticking rate to increase to 1.1 times the correct rate.

Then I descend into a gravity well wearing the watch, which causes the ticking rate to halve.

Then I run around in a circle at speed 0.86 c, which causes the ticking rate of my wach to halve again.

At what rate is the watch ticking now?

Answer: 1.1 * 0.5 * 0.5 * the original rate

GR makes a different prediction than the one you have, the changes are much more complicated than you think. A good synopsis can be found in the description of the Hafele-Keating experiment. The effects are additive, not multiplicative.

Edited by xyzt

GR makes a different prediction than the one you have, the changes are much more complicated than you think. A good synopsis can be found in the description of the Hafele-Keating experiment. The effects are additive, not multiplicative.

For some reason I'm confident my simple idea is correct.

Let's see now ... Oh yes, the instantaneous frequency of a clock can be deduced in my simple way.

On the other hand the average ticking frequency during the whole watch malteatment episode would indeed be complicated thing to calculate.

Let's see now ... Oh yes, the instantaneous frequency of a clock can be deduced in my simple way.

On the other hand the average ticking frequency during the whole watch malteatment episode would indeed be complicated thing to calculate.

Multiplying the effects is a common mistake. It turns out that the effect is (heavily) non-linear , so you cannot resort to multiplication. The Schwarzschild solution provides you all the information necessary for performing the correct calculation. The Hafele-Keating experiment has been reprised with a much higher precision. Incidentally, the additive effect is also at the foundation of the GPS relativistic corrections.

The overall effect is derived from the Schwarzschild solution:

[math](c d \tau)^2=(1-r_s/r)(cdt)^2-dr^2/(1-r_s/r)-r^2(d\theta)^2[/math]

giving:

[math]\tau=\int{\sqrt{1-r_s/r-(v/c)^2/(1-r_s/r)-(r/c)^2 \omega^2} dt}[/math]

For small values of [math]r_s, v/c, r \omega /c[/math] the above can be simplified to:

[math]\tau=\int{(1-0.5(r_s/r+(v/c)^2/(1-r_s/r)+(r/c)^2 \omega^2)) dt}[/math]

...recovering the explanation from the wiki article on Hafele-Keating.

Edited by xyzt

No, the fractional frequency terms add together.

You quoted (incorrectly) separate sources for separate effects. You cannot combine them in order to get a correct answer.

I'm wondering why you claim this, when you have shown links and just posted an equation that does this very thing — combine the separate effects.

No, the fractional frequency terms add together.

I'm wondering why you claim this, when you have shown links and just posted an equation that does this very thing — combine the separate effects.

1. Have you looked at the formulas he's posted?

2. You do realize that all the components are derived from GR, not from a combination of GR and SR, right? There is no SR involved in the derivation.

Edited by xyzt

1. Have you looked at the formulas he's posted?

2. You do realize that all the components are derived from GR, not from a combination of GR and SR, right?

The correct response is that the equations are wrong, not that they can't be combined. And you link to the H-K experiment page, which shows/uses separate kinematic and gravitational terms, so while it's true these are all part of GR, it contradicts your claim.