Dance of the Peacock Spider

EdEarl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Ed, nice video. I can't get enough of jumping spiders. I showed my wife and son with color commentary by me, they had a good laugh. It reminds me of my single life. doh.gif

tongue.png Did you do the abdominal vibration?

Awesome video EdEarl!

Edited by Tridimity

Sorry arc - some of those pictures not quite so cute, and may actually give me nightmares. I want you to know I'm shuddering right now tongue.png

Perhaps I could learn to love them with training and maybe some hypnotherapy.

I'm sorry pears, I guess cute is in the eyes of the beholder. But I could have easily chose to study these little critters for a career. For something so small they show remarkable individual behavior. I try to take time to observe them when opportunity allows. They have a hunting style that mimics cats when they stalk prey.

They can see movement at a remarkable distance, much farther than their prey. Once a target is acquired they immediately crouch and move in a stalking mode, using the terrain to conceal themselves. I watched one use an edge to sneak all the way around to behind its prospective meal, maybe 30 to 40 cm, all the while occasionally stopping to peek over the edge to check on the meal before proceeding further. Once in range they pounce from behind.

I have watched this scenario play out many times. Once on my living room ceiling I was amazed and surprised when the pounce moment arrived. I was so mesmerized by the scene that I didn't even think that being upside down the pounce would be impossible, so as I watched and prepared for that blindingly fast leap I was surprised when at half the usual distance it shot forward toward the moth. It was so fast all I saw was the moth take flight and the spider was left hanging by the tether it had secured before the jump.

I believe they probably always tether before the jump, but it doesn't get seen in most instances due to being right side up. It would decrease one's chances of being taken for a ride from larger prey, and it would help if you don't need to hold onto the surface while hanging onto the prey. It would free up more legs to help subdue the meal. smile.png