Copper sulfate reaction to natron.

cladking

My limited knowledge of chemistry suggests that copper sulfate in solution with salt, baking soda, and sodium decahydrate (natron) will precipitate copper hydroxide which would accumulate on the bottom of a very large container.

There would be numerous contaminants in this water and solution levels of the copper sulfate would be probably less than .05% but highly variable.

The water would be very slightly acidic and turn over rapidly. I believe there is evidence it would turn basalt green.

Does this sound right to anyone?

Natron is sodium *carbonate* decahydrate.

I don't think all those sodium compounds are necessary - while it would do the trick, either the natron or the baking soda would do perfectly well by themselves.

However, if you're shooting for a green solution (which means copper is still present), the salt may just donate its chloride ions to the copper ions from the dissolved copper sulfate to create the tetrachlorocuprate ion, CuCl4-. The precipitate from reacting copper sulfate with natron or baking soda would be sky-blue copper hydroxide.

If you put enough baking soda/natron in, there will be no copper sulfate in solution. Copper hydroxide might dissolve in the water to some extent, but this would be extremely limited - on the order of 0.01g/L!

What exactly is the 'goal' here? The copper hydroxide? The green solution?

"Natron is sodium *carbonate* decahydrate."

No it isn't, it's a mixture of carbonate and bicarbonate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natron

Copper can be precipitated as a carbonate/ hydroxide with such a mixture.

Also copper forms complexes with carbonates so a lot of natron may keep the copper in solution.

With added salt you might get mixed chloride/carbonate/ hydroxide compounds that are insoluble and green.

It's not really possible to say without more detail.

What exactly is the 'goal' here? The copper hydroxide? The green solution?

The green solution.

I believe the most ancient texts are written in a misinterpreted language that is highly scientific. These texts say a great deal about this place and the chemicals and their characteristics. As I interpret the language it very distinctly states that the basalt "mat" under the carbonated water turns green. This is not consistent with the only colored material I know to be in the water; copper sulfate;

"You sit on the mat of turquoise in the bow of the boat of Re'."

-RO Faulkner 1973

There's only one "mat" and one "bow" though there could be other "turquoise".

"Natron is sodium *carbonate* decahydrate."

No it isn't, it's a mixture of carbonate and bicarbonate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natron

Copper can be precipitated as a carbonate/ hydroxide with such a mixture.

Also copper forms complexes with carbonates so a lot of natron may keep the copper in solution.

With added salt you might get mixed chloride/carbonate/ hydroxide compounds that are insoluble and green.

It's not really possible to say without more detail.

Conditions here are most highly variable. After it is "purified" the temperature can be as low as about 58 F. It is below the "cool lakes at 81 feet", but can easily become quite cold under some conditions. It can probably get as hot as about 130 F under some conditions and can even stagnate rarely. I should add that at times there would be large amounts of siderite (iron) as well as various particulate debris and organic waste material from people. The water starts its treck carbonated but by the time it reaches the "mat" should almost always be almost completely decarbonated though it will sometimes pick up other gasses from a lot of handling. It will also contain very small amounts of an aromatic organic (myhrr). I can identify several other things in the water but they are in trace amounts.

It's a real "soup" over the course of a season but at any given point in time its condition can be closely estimated. The copper sulfate will primarily appear early in the annual season with the siderite but other conditions are steadier over time though always variable. When the water is "purified" it will be cleaner, colder, and higher in natron and copper sulfate levels low.

I greatly appreciate everyone's help. If I don't repeat it later... ...thanks.