Help Installing XP

jordan

I tried upgraded our old computer from 98 to XP this morning without success. It said I needed to unistall programs that couldn't be upgraded (pc anywhere, some game controler thing and a few other programs). Well, I looked for them everywhere but i couldn't find them, so I can't really unistall them. Ok, no problem. Rather than upgrade, I just want to wipe off the old OS and put XP on in place of it. No upgrading. But now it wants to know what partition I want to install this to. It gives me one choice that says

C: Partition1 9782MB (5764MB free)

That doesn't look promising. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the easiest thing to do here is. I don't know too much about what I'm doing.

Thanks.

First of all you shd back ur REGITRY

In start menu-----> RUN

Type regedit

a window opens

FILE---> EXPORT

Export the registry to a safer drive that u wont be touching at all during the upgrade process !

And ya make sure u back up the registry of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-----> SOFTWARE branch not the whole of it !

Make a back up of C:\Program Files\ *whatever softwares you dont wanna lose*

Then u can proceed further

But now it wants to know what partition I want to install this to. It gives me one choice that says

There's no problem continue !!!!!!!!

Make sure you dont FORMAT the disc or CONVERT IT TOO NTFS from FAT or vice versa when it asks you !

Ok, I went on with that, but it says that installing multiple OS's on one partition can cause them to run improperly. Not only that, but I don't want both anymore. What is the easiest way to unistall the old one since that's not given as an option on the screen?

lol

The best way is

BOOT USING A FLOPPY i.e. COMMAND.com

Go to C:\ then deltree c:\windows

It will delete the WINDOWS directory and after that you can install WIN XP !

And Ya BACKUP the documents !

Do you have only a single PARTITION on ur HD?????????

If possible make atleast 3 Partitions !

No you can't save Word and Powerpoint Application !

the only problem with upgrading from win98 to winXP is that XP demands a higher system specification... so if your computer is only just handling 98, remember that XP will demand higher sys spec and could make your computer seem to run slower

what exactly are the partitions and what are any advatages to having more than one?

well, ignore my winXP-ness, but imagine a HDD as a long rectangle or data space!

when you degrag you place all the data at one end of the rectanle.. thats where i got the image from, i find that when explaining to a bunch of people, its easier to use images, otherwise some people wont get it.

so you have a long rectangle, as you put stuff on the HDD the rectangle fills up.

if you partion it, you split the rectangle into 2 smaller rectangles.

this means if you wanna format one bit you can do it without deleting everything on your whole HDD.

if one part becomes corrupted, it may not spread to the others.

the OS (windows anyway) installs itself on its own partition.

if you have mutliple users on one computer, you can have a different partition for each user, so they can have their own space, if someone mucks it up, you just format that partition.

Some older programmes, games etc. might not work on XP, but i think there's a programme you can download to fix this,

you can get a patch or use the XP compatability wizard.

COMPATIBILITY MODE is already present in the WIN xp Service Pack -2 that Microsoft is giving as a freeware to all the GENUINE USERS !

compatability wizard or "mode" as you called is available in winXP SP1 too!

lol

The best way is

BOOT USING A FLOPPY i.e. COMMAND.com

Go to C:\ then deltree c:\windows

It will delete the WINDOWS directory and after that you can install WIN XP !

MulderMan's link looks very helpful. Thanks for that. The only problem is that it starts assuming your hardrive is clean. So to the instuructions above. I don't know what the "BOOT USING A FLOPPY" part means. Can you further explain what it is I have to do there?

sorry, my posts here havent been much help yet

from what i understand you want to replace 98 with XP without formatting your HDD.

But now it wants to know what partition I want to install this to. It gives me one choice that says

That doesn't look promising.

if you installed to there then you'd have win98 and winXP at the same time.

this is probably quite simple, just i've never done it to tell you.

i'd greatly recommend formatting your HDD, you can back up nearly all of your stuff onto CDs and then its really simple and i can give you a step by step guide!

Well, I found that deltree c:\windows thing under MS Dos. It asks me if I want to delete it all. Is that what I should do? I want to be sure on this before I try.

im not sure what you mean... where did you see this message?

the thing with this is that you cant really go wrong and you can muck up so long as you are prepared to format... i really think you should do that + its good to do it once every while.

Ok, I can see where this is getting confusing. Basicaly, I was to install XP on the computer so as to have a brand new computer (like one I could buy from a store). Everything on it is worthless or has been transfered to the newer computer and is safely backed up. What I'm having trouble doing is unistalling the origional version of 98 that is interfering with the instalation of XP. What I'm going to do at this point is go to MS Dos and delete the windows file. I'll check back in a little bit to let you know what happened. Thanks for all the help.