How can math prove anything?

Windevoid

It is an extension of the mind. It can't say what reality does without doubt. It just says what other people have seen, probably only a few cases. As far as I know, it is not made up of rigorous study of every detail, it is just blanket statements.

It is an extension of the mind. It can't say what reality does without doubt. It just says what other people have seen, probably only a few cases. As far as I know, it is not made up of rigorous study of every detail, it is just blanket statements.

You are confusing mathematics with science. In math, we can make statements such as theorems that can be proved. The Pythagorean theorem is one such example. Science uses math to construct theories, which can be falsified. Thus, math is a tool used by scientists to make quantitative predictions regarding the behaviour of physical phenomena.

Edited by Daedalus

You are confusing mathematics with science. In math, we can make statements such as theorems that can be proved. The Pythagorean theorem is one such example. Science uses math to construct theories, which can be falsified. Thus, math is a tool used by scientist to make quantitative predictions regarding the behaviour of physical phenomena.

So, I guess that means math can't prove anything, just predict things.

Well, it can be used to prove more complicated mathematical statements. As for science, math just predicts things and provides the means to model reality. As we make better measurements and observations, we are able to derive better mathematical models that make more accurate predictions.

Edited by Daedalus

Well, it can be used to prove more complicated mathematical statements. As for science, math just predicts things and provides the means to model reality. As we make better measurements and observations, we are able to derive better mathematical models that make more accurate predictions.

Nice answer. I get few of those.

Actually, math is the only place you'll really find "proof" of anything. For science, theory is never complete, it's always looking for better and better explanations, building on what has come before. When someone claims they have "proved" something to be true, they're violating the very heart of science, the never-ending search for the best explanation.

When it's theory, you keep looking. When it's "proven" you stop looking. We should never stop looking.

Actually, math is the only place you'll really find "proof" of anything. For science, theory is never complete, it's always looking for better and better explanations, building on what has come before. When someone claims they have "proved" something to be true, they're violating the very heart of science, the never-ending search for the best explanation.

When it's theory, you keep looking. When it's "proven" you stop looking. We should never stop looking.

Did you read what Daedalus said?

Edited by Windevoid

I'm sure Phi for All did read what I wrote. He was just clarifying my explanation and emphasizing the finer points.

You have a very easy style to read, and you're one of the most informative members we have. Your explanations need no clarification or emphasis, but you're gracious to say so. cool.png

My post was just to point out a common misconception, that science is looking to "prove" things. It's not so much about answers as it is about explanations.

You can prove statements in mathematics with mathematics. The question of how the mathematics applies to nature is another question...