Traction Force

bon

hi, can somebody help me

My task:

Determine the force with which you have to pull the two suspend sorts at least on paper straight down, so that the paper unrolls. Allows you to choose which suspension is therefore easier.

My approach:

sin(∂)=Fn/T

cos(∂)=Fg/T

Fn = Fg/cos(∂) * sin(∂) = Fg * tan(∂)

Fr= μ * Fn = μ * Fg * tan(∂)

Fr=Fz

Fz=μ * Fg * tan(∂)

I think the difference between the two systems is the force exerted by the pulling force on the wall. Why is one easier than the other.

I have no idea, how I can calculate the force which is produced by the pulling force.

thanks already in advance

post-98521-0-41876000-1373991908_thumb.jpg

Edited by bon

Maybe it's the weather, but I'm sorry, I have looked at you diagram three times and I still don't know what is what.

Please try to explain in no more than 5 lines what exactly makes up your system or systems.

For instance what is a suspended sort

What are the circles on your diagram?

What is mg the weight of?

You have already done a lot of calculation so don't do any more until we understand your setup.

Hanging of toilet rolls:

The one they depend on so that the loose end hanging down the front, but also many other way around.

It raises the question, in which the arrangements less force must be applied to roll.

For this purpose, a simplified model be considered, in which the clones paper roll of mass m, as in the figure outline is considered to be a solid cylinder having a radius R,

which is a rod of length L fastened to the wall. The roller is free to rotate on its axis cylinder.

The maximum coefficient of static friction between the paper and the wall is denoted by μ.

The pulling force is directed vertically downwards.

Once on the one side (at the wall), and on the other side.

Can no one help me?

Edited by bon

The pulling force is directed vertically downwards.

So why not show it on your diagram?

Can no one help me?

I am helping you, but you are totally off track with your analysis.

If you are to pull sheets off the roll what must happen?

That what must the roll do?

The tensile force must be greater than the static frictional force, so that the roller rotates.

The question is interrested me where exactly is the difference whether I prefer the other vertical wall or down on the open side.

???

The tensile force must be greater than the static frictional force, so that the roller rotates.

What tensile force?

And, like I already asked you, why did you not show it on your diagram?

Edited by studiot

I'll try to explain what seems to be the problem:

The paper roll is on a rod hanging freely from a string attached to the wall, letting it press against the wall, with some amount of force due to its weight.

Depending on how the roll is oriented, pulling on the paper to unroll it will affect the force with which the roll is pressing against the wall. It is hypothesized that this difference in force is the essence of what makes one way easier than the other. So the question is how to determine the force.

I'll try to explain what seems to be the problem:

The paper roll is on a rod hanging freely from a string attached to the wall, letting it press against the wall, with some amount of force due to its weight.

Depending on how the roll is oriented, pulling on the paper to unroll it will affect the force with which the roll is pressing against the wall. It is hypothesized that this difference in force is the essence of what makes one way easier than the other. So the question is how to determine the force.

Thank you, that is as I read it.

However bon has not included the force pulling on the roll of paper in his diagram, so cannot hope to achieve a solution.

This is homework help, and I believe this is set work, so I cannot do the problem for him, only prompt for direction.

Thank you, that is as I read it.

However bon has not included the force pulling on the roll of paper in his diagram, so cannot hope to achieve a solution.

This is homework help, and I believe this is set work, so I cannot do the problem for him, only prompt for direction.

Ah, I see. After I wrote the previous response, I figured I may have misread the thread.

So the problem is not that bon needs to *explain* more what the details are or mean, but must *specify* them (in the diagram or maths)?

I don't see that the tension in the string or weight of the roll has any real relevance to the forces of unrolling.

I am trying to get bon to think about the mechanics of the situation since his approach is fundamentally wrong (and also far too complicated, making life difficult for himself).

Here are only the two different situations presented.
I think I have to use the lever rule. Only the two points of attack are different.
It is helpful to split Fz in two different forces? Can anyone give a specific tip, how I should go on?

Toiletpaper.pdf

Bon, I will try one last time.

If you want to make progress, please simply reply to the questions or comments I (or perhaps others) make.

That is the point of a forum.

I have told you twice that your approach is fundamentally wrong, but you haven't asked me about it.

So one last time.

What do you know about the moment of a force about a point the force passes through? You may call it the lever rule.

Oh dear oh dear,

You still haven't responded to my question. I have no idea what Fz and Fr or T might be. I am guessing that R is the radius of the roll.

post-74263-0-83302300-1374056844.jpg

Here is a block resting on a table.

The weight of the block acts at the C of G of the block and passes through point C as shown.

What is the moment of W about C?

This is absolutely fundamental to your understanding not only of this problem but mechanics more generally.

Edited by studiot

Fz - traction force

Fri - friction force

T - force on the rod

(all forces are also shown in the first illustration)

What is the moment of W about C?

Newton's first law:

Balance of forces Fg (graviton) = Fn (normal)

turning movement is the action of a force about a fixed point at a distance from that point i.e move it in circular motion
this movement is called as torque

T=Fxr

where F is forced applied , r is distance of application of force from that fixed point

I don`t know what you mean, maybe:

Gravitational force from the focus on the table
Normal force of the table upward, both are gleoch great, here we also have the difference r of the points.
In my task, r, is the radius from the roll

You have stated that the moment of a force is the force times the distance from the force to some point.

This is not true, because it is imcomplete and the missing bits are very important.

The moment is the force times the perpendicular distance from the point of application to the line of action of the force.

Do you understand what this means, because your responses suggest you do not.

Do you have any course notes?

I suggest you revise moments or torque or turning effect before proceeding.

Just as a force is a push or a pull, a torque can be thought of as a twist to an object. Mathematically, torque is defined as the cross product of the lever-arm distance and force, which tends to produce rotation.

34be615483d01fea0d42822a7010abc7.png

b37cbcae0e83b25b1f26bbdab44f2e32.png

τ is the torque vector and τ is the magnitude of the torque,

r is the displacement vector (a vector from the point from which torque is measured to the point where force is applied), and r is the length (or magnitude) of the lever arm vector,

F is the force vector, and F is the magnitude of the force

Edited by bon